SaabCentral Forums banner

5001 - 5020 of 5035 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts

Sorry for the poor quality...the picture on my phone is good but for some reason uploading it makes it look awful! The foot lights are more of a blue-purple and the trim lights are more of a turqoise..looks awesome (to me at least) :cool:

Thanks @Positiv for the inspiration! Any comments on tacky lights will be agreed with

This mod definitely increases engine life...I've been very motivated now to get check engine lights sorted quickly because it contrasts poorly with these colors

And yes, it is switched so I can turn it all off incase my mother is in the vicinity

Anyone else amazed by the physics behind LED's and how little power they draw?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Looks cool but not my cup of tea. I'm one of those people who actually use the Night Panel feature. With all the deer running around where I live, I need less light inside the car and more outside. I upgraded the fog lights to the brightest bulbs I could find.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Oh definitely, night vision is very important! I've driven with these a couple weeks and I haven't found my vision affected, fortunately. I did some quick googling and I almost went with a red trim instead of blue because apparently it's better for night vision, but I decided against it for aesthetic purposes 😇

I feel I'm more awake and enjoying the drive, but that could go away once I get used to them

I find the LED's to be small and sharp, if that makes sense, as opposed to the normal connotation that they are bright and blinding

·
Registered
295 Posts
I ran my car out of gas. It sucked. Literally - the fuel pump sucked air. It was the end of a long day and my assistant and I had to stand on the side of NJ 195 for an hour before the troglodyte AAA sent arrived with 2 gallons of overpriced gas. Hot, tired, hungry and to make it worse, my assistant needed a bathroom break badly and a tree wasn't going to work.

This is the second time this car has done this. If you know me, between the wife and are are three 9-5s. This is the newest to us; an Aero sedan. It's in beautiful shape except the gas gauge is totally wonky. The first time it said 15 miles to empty and began sputtering around corners. I managed to push it into a gas station. This time it said 28 miles till empty and we had been cruising on flat, straight 65 mph limit asphalt for 30 miles when it died. No warning. Wouldn't restart in N. I probably coasted on the shoulder for a good two miles coming down from 75 mph.

I can say with some pride that until I bought this car, I hadn't run out of gas for 30 years, no exaggeration. I know the other two 9-5s and how they act. I have gotten them down to single digits in the distance to E game. Never ran out.

The tank is full now - or close to it. There is still no self serve here in NJ and the attendants often overfill, sending gas into places where only vapor should be so it is only on the rarest of occasions that I actually fill the tank.

If I have some time this weekend, I may pull the pump and see if the float is rusted up or there is some other problem that would cause this.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
Do you have access to a Tech II?

You can use it to calibrate the fuel gauge. Or, conversely, you can see if someone has entered some strange alternate values for fuel readings.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
If you plan to keep your three cars for any length of time, and you like working on them yourself--both sound true--then absolutely a Tech II lets you do way better diagnosis way quicker. In addition to letting you play more with the car's programming than you would have ever dreamed of.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh, BTW, some guy in a 9-3 pulled over and asked if I needed help. We had as much of a discussion as we could with the roar of cars whizzing past, I explained that I was pretty sure that it was simply out of gas, shook his hand and he went on his way. Brotherhood of the SAAB?

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
terpidon just replace the entire fuel sender and be done with it. well covered with posts and pictures on here. drop tank insert new sender replace tank done

·
Registered
295 Posts
"If you plan to keep your three cars for any length of time" Yes, of course. Quite frankly, I don't much care for new cars. At my age, these are probably the last cars I'll own. I tend to keep cars a long time. If anything, I'll probably buy another one - the last year of the 1st gen 9-5 with the lowest mileage I can find. I'm always scanning the used car sites.
"a Tech II lets you do way better diagnosis way quicker." Ok, good, where do I get one?

·
Registered
295 Posts
"just replace the entire fuel sender and be done with it." Probably the best course to take. I will look at it first and see if I can figure out how it works and if I can fix it. I should think that repairs are impossible because it's hermetically sealed because it's an electrical device submersed in gasoline.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Could be the baffle has come away. Mine came loose and was floating around causing all sorts of odd readings over and under. Pulled the baffle, problem solved.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
  1. The 2006-up cars have a different fuel pump and sender, and the sender is notorious for issues. Alas, it also requires dropping the tank to replace the pump/sender assembly.
  2. General topics/Tech II has a subtopic Tech II Clone. Alternatively, watch ads. A used Tech II with Saab software is around $300, give or take. The separate laptop for security is not strictly necessary for 9-5s but is worthwhile to get. Plus you can help out other Saab owners (possibly for a nominal fee, or beer).

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
1: All gasoline cars have same fuel pump and sender here in Europe.
yes. Not sure its different here....internet is funny about facts...practically all cars are affected one way or the other by the long term effects of gasoline., and it gets worse with some of the deleterious effects of moisture and the short shelf life of ethanol. The parts situation is made worse by false listings ( rock auto publish what they are told by the suppliers, no questions asked) and fully 20% of parts supplied by aftermarket vendors are wrong. Saab control arms, end links, calipers, to name just a few that spring to mind. Its the same for all makes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Within last 2k miles did head gasket, redid the head, planed, valve job, valve seals, new MAF, new CPS, new serpentine belt, new DIC, new plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
changed spark plugs today, car runs super. I must check the log book, but it looks like 36,000 km. I did change the DIC, as it is advised on here, but what I did ( I think its ridiculous to change the DIC with every spark plug change) is put the one I swapped out 36,000 km ago, back in...I did have an occasionally misfire lately. That prompted the spark plug change. I think turbo cars are hard on spark plugs. The center electrode showed wear fuzzy around its wire end, but the gap was close to spec. The new plugs are preset to ..9 mm and I confirmed that before installing. The color of the center electrode porcelain was white, as it usually is. I would prefer chocolate brown color, but its a SAAB so who knows. I would post obligatory photos as usual but I cannot, Photobucket is misbehaving tonight. Oh well.

5001 - 5020 of 5035 Posts