SaabCentral Forums banner

4981 - 5000 of 5037 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Thank you.
The deer are like fleas around here. There was a proposal a couple of years ago in Ann Arbor to allow hunters to cull the deer population but that was poo poo’d which is probably wise. Hopefully some other strategy will come forth because they really are a menace these days. The interstate is littered with carcasses...🤮
S

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thank you.
The deer are like fleas around here. There was a proposal a couple of years ago in Ann Arbor to allow hunters to cull the deer population but that was poo poo’d which is probably wise. Hopefully some other strategy will come forth because they really are a menace these days. The interstate is littered with carcasses...🤮
S
At the risk of getting off topic; when the herds get huge like this they suffer in the winter and early spring when there isn't much to eat, starving. It's more merciful to just shoot them. We have the same problem in New Jersey. Their predators are gone and far fewer people hunt so the deer overpopulate. I live in a town that was once a resort for hunters and sportsmen from Philadelphia. No more. Only the locals hunt around here. They complain that the ones they kill are scrawny. Meanwhile It's disturbing how many dead deer are on the side of the roadways.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yup. But that's a full exchange. Not a partial done more frequently.
After reading different threads and discussions on the subject over the years, the professional transmission guys like to point out that you can not do a complete flush without taking out the transmission and emptying the torque converter. The alternative is the "power flush" machines that blast trans fluid via a pump and, if I remember correctly, even they can't get all the old stuff out.

I think the best bet is to change the fluid regularly, at the recommended interval, and let those two or so quarts linger inside the trans, assuming that that's what the designers took into account.

The alternative is to develop a trans fluid leak, keep driving it, leaving a trail and keep adding fluid. "Self changing transmission fluid". I shudder to think about the environmental damage I have done over the decades by driving many different vehicles with "self changing" fluids. I had an Olds for a while that leaked oil so badly that I seriously considered rigging a pump from a bucket in the trunk through a tube running through the passenger compartment, through the firewall and into the crankcase via a hole drilled in the valve cover. It spun a rod bearing before I could do it. Probably for the best.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ordered a new crankcase NRV

I ordered the new crankcase breather/NRV and the Ad picture was of course the old type with the plastic NRV. And what turned up is a metal NRV.
So there is recognition that the old ones were prone to failure.
This is much less likely to fail now.

Just need to fit it which is easy but getting the old one off is awkward.

This came from Professional Parts, Sweden Pt No. 21345927HD (Crankcase Check Valve)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Fitted the Crancase NRV and found a bad timing belt

Ok took to changing the NRV the new metal one is now in place. see pic.

SERPENTINE BELT NOT TIMING BELT!!!! (as correctly pointed out by Terpodion

but while there under the car I cleaned the oil leaking around the sump and alternator and decided to change the oil. So did that.
LOOK WHAT I FOUND. see pic a chewed up belt. measured it against the old one i had and sure enough old 21mm wide this one 23mm wide. This was ordered with other parts when I was tackling the oil pump and crankshaft seal. Bloody annoys me that I never checked. It fitted fine. Lucky i spotted it. Now on the hunt for a proper one.

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think you mean serpentine belt. Our cars have a timing chain. Was that belt hitting something? It looks like something sheared off the right side of the rubber.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yes i meant that but was in another world and have timing belts on the brain.

Yes it has shredded the side. I cannot find anywhere it has been hitting so suspect it has been worn by the pulley lips. As said this is 23mm wide and it should have been 23mm. so too wide for the pulleys.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Drove past the milestone

Drove to work and then it hit me... I'm passed 200,000 Miles! Supposedly that's the first big deal milestone, so, BIG shout out to the Saabllennium Falcon for staying the course through some hard times. I'd also like to thank the... Wait what? Maaaaan, this ain't no Grammy award!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Cars should be rigged so that confetti shoots out the tailpipe, all the lights flash and the horn and alarm sound when passing mileage marks in hundred thousand mile increments.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
It isn’t what I did, but what someone else did. I was stopped at a light, and the guy in front of me (for some reason) backed up into my front bumper because cops were passing in the left lane. I think he thought he was in the cops’ way or something.

Anyway, the guy was really decent about it and his insurance is taking care of it 100%. So the ‘06 9-5 Sportcombi is getting a new front bumper, courtesy of State Farm. Lol. My 9-5 kinda needed a new bumper anyway so I’m not even mad!

It could use a rear bumper too...the old one is kinda beat up. Maybe someone will take that out too.

P.S. With Saab’s being basically worthless in insurance companies’ eyes, I’m always worried even the tiniest little accident will total it out....

·
Registered
741 Posts
Too true Andy, when i hit a deer recently i was worried that they would write it off but my State Farm broker didn’t bat an eye. The damage was overall superficial but for what this will cost me I wouldn’t be able to replace the passenger side mirror glass myself for less. I had the visibility package with heated, auto dimming capability. About $2000 damage was the estimate. Now i get a new mirror assembly, painted front fender and both doors for $100 and no increase to my premium... I am quite pleased with State Farm!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tech 2 struggles

I hooked up a Tech 2 I just purchased to try and rectify a headlight level issue. No joy. Tech 2 works great. Stunning the things you can do with it, scary even. Says I have an intermittent open to the suspension mounted switch. OpCom told me the same thing weeks ago. I've replaced the switch and cable to no avail. Not sure what to do next. Maybe get another SAAB OE headlight controller for the left side - car came with non OE Valeo units and I've swapped out the right side. May also try checking headlight connector condition and applying deoxit or Stabilant.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Drove to work and then it hit me... I'm passed 200,000 Miles! Supposedly that's the first big deal milestone, so, BIG shout out to the Saabllennium Falcon for staying the course through some hard times. I'd also like to thank the... Wait what? Maaaaan, this ain't no Grammy award!
Congrats! Mine also just passed 200,000 miles. Thought I should do some pre-emptive celebratory work to it but not sure what to do. Maybe new CPS ;ol;

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ours is at 206k and counting. Electrical gremlins are driving me nuts. I bought a Tech 2 and talked to it. The gremlins have calmed down for now except the headlight level issue I've been wrestling with and eventually I'll nail that too.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
I hooked up a Tech 2 I just purchased to try and rectify a headlight level issue. No joy. Tech 2 works great. Stunning the things you can do with it, scary even. Says I have an intermittent open to the suspension mounted switch. OpCom told me the same thing weeks ago. I've replaced the switch and cable to no avail. Not sure what to do next. Maybe get another SAAB OE headlight controller for the left side - car came with non OE Valeo units and I've swapped out the right side. May also try checking headlight connector condition and applying deoxit or Stabilant.
So the right side levels fine and has no error codes stored, but the left one has an error? You have contacted both left and right modules separately and checked for codes on each one?

One thing you can do is swap the modules from side to side and see if the fault moves.

Note: the modules themselves are programmed "left" and "right" (in Tech II). If you swap the module to the opposite headlights, contacting the "left" module will contact the swapped module, now in the right headlamp.

4981 - 5000 of 5037 Posts