SaabCentral Forums banner

4641 - 4660 of 5263 Posts

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Finally got the rear washer working. Had to take off the tailgate inside trim. Then tried drilling out the crud in the washer passageway in the motor shaft, but drill bit not long enough. So I hammered a small drill bit to the end, knocked it a bit further in with a pin, then hammered in another drill bit. You can get about three small drill bits in there. :eek: After they were moving through pretty easily, I flossed the hole using a bicycle shifter cable.

Since I was in there and pulling trim off, I pulled off the left hand cargo trim and verified that the square 6 pin CD changer connector is strapped to the rear of the wheel well. I assume this means that all I need is the CD changer and plug in the existing cable.

As an example of scope creep, I then pulled the left sunroof drain hose. Not that much crud in the nipple, and no obstructions in the hose. So then I pulled the RH trim and checked the other drain, which was even cleaner.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
EdT I believe that if you get a Saab CD changer its hopefully been divorced from its original car (or at least comes with the VIN) and you'll need to marry it to your car with Tech 2. I don't know what the deal is with a non-Saab unit.....

Doug

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
EdT I believe that if you get a Saab CD changer its hopefully been divorced from its original car (or at least comes with the VIN) and you'll need to marry it to your car with Tech 2. I don't know what the deal is with a non-Saab unit.....

Yeah, I have access to a Tech II and have used it to divorce a radio taken out of a junkyard car without power.

The nice thing is that I could possibly have required an intermediate cable that's no longer easily available, but it looks like I'm set. Now all I need is a CD changer from the early 9-5 or '99-'02 9-3. They are scarce in Canada.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I hope that you can find your cd changer!

Tonight, I pulled the dashboard apart for the third time. It sure gets easier..:D I then installed the automatic shift boot over my automatic shift lever. It works really well, but not the way I expected it to. Now I just need to trim it out in some way, but I want to drive it a bit before I put the trim on.

I installed a brand new front angle sensor and a new sensor cable. Results on the thread......:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Last Saturday I gutted most of the rest of my '01's interior. All that's left are the two front seats and the dashboard. The foam flooring under the carpet of the front passenger floor was completely water logged. It was absolutely nasty, mildew and mold setting in. That horror probably weighed like 10kg. Yuck!!! The driver side was bone dry and brittle.

I kinda wish I would of left the centre console in place. I've temporarily jerry rigged the window switch module with zipties. Ghetto as ****!

Driving comfort: 3/5
Noise comfort: -7/5

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Air con drain pipe blocked at the air box? The ingenious design involved a half inch drain feeding into a quarter inch tube. What could possibly go wrong? Later cars had larger bore pipes and can be retrofitted.

Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Replaced the window rollers on the passenger side and reattached the rubber window guides on the driver and passenger side on my 2009 9-5.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Front brakes

Replaced my front rotors and pads.
Carbon metallic pads and OEM style solid discs.
I ordered them from "Max Brakes" a brake manufacturer/supplier in Ontario Canada. They have online stores on Amazon and Ebay. Really high ratings.
Total cost? Less than $90 shipped.
They even came with break-in instructions.
The hardest parts were 1) jacking up the car and 2) hammering the old rotors off. At the end of the day, it was worth the $200+ in savings though.

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
Swapped original nav to 9" android player.
It has 3D printed special frame to fit dash.
Also installed rear and dash cams etc.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
We need PICS!!! And a walk through/how to... ;ol;

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
Which car?
Both has same package.
Aero was first to row and today TiD.

I used Xrtons PE98M245PL (Mercedes version) and my friend drawed 3D pics to 3D printer.

I will try to take pics and write how-to.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
I'm interested in the NAV swap to Android player and cams.

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
I am now wondering if I continue with dark wood dash or should I swap it to alu version.

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
So here it is, short and incomplete version of swapping original Denso nav system to 9" android player.

In spring I talked with my friend who had swapped ng9-3 (my10) original 6 cd changer radio to 8" android player. He (and I) hated frames in frames in frames etc. And here we are...

With his huge help (he is mechanical designer), he draw 3D pics to 3D printer and I ordered frames from Materflow (Finnish 3D printing factory). My other friend painted them to match original color (color is NOT black, it is very, very dark grey). This friend is world class modeler.
Frames are made with nylon, because it is fexible but hard enough for tabs etc.
I ordered players from Xtrons uk. Players are Xtrons PE98M245PL. Players has 9" display and I chose Mercedes version (I wanted buttons in glass), VW version has separate buttons. Saab frame do NOT have enough space for separate buttons.
I do not use Mercedes wiring loom, I stripped it and put ISO connectors. ISO connectors is for Saab SWB interface (thus I do not cut any SWB wires).
I also made special wiring looms (ISO/Saab nav) so, I do not cut existing wires and I can swap original nav system back if necessary.

I also installed rear view camera and dash camera (DVR). Rear view camera has wireless system to player. I connected camera (and wireless transmitter) to rear wiper connector, so when car is in use, camera has always power. I can switch rear view camera video even if car is not in reverse.
DVR (dash cam) is behind rear mirror and under rain sensor. I drilled rain sensor cover hole for DVR cable.
Both cables routed via passenger A-pillar and behind glove box.
I also removed front cig lighter and installed USB/AUX connectors instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
I also installed 25mm fan and heat sink to processor to cool down player.
Fan has power auto antenna connector (external, because I want to slow down fan).

·
Registered
9,149 Posts
I installed 8" android player to my friend ng 9-3 (-08) in last week. It also has rear view camera, but no DVR, SWB works.
This is connected to original Bose system.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow Mimmi, that is great. Do you know if we simpler folk can getaway with buying a stereo from the shop and installing straight in?
That is amazing about the 3d printer tabs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Finally got back to the SAAB and finished up the new oil temp sensor installation--no more oil pouring out the back of the engine! Now to investigate the oil smoke coming from the turbo area--hope its just residual oil burning off and that the new valve cover gasket stopped any front side leaks.

4641 - 4660 of 5263 Posts