SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey guys so im new to saab. got my first saabie today and im confussed as hell lol.
carfax with vin number said
1999 9-3 SE 2.0 turbo same a tittle
BUUT
the car has 98's and down (900s) looks! (front bumper, rear bumper + long trunk tailight and stuff) oh yeah and add a 2.3 batch in the lower
so i bought a 99 9-3 2.3 turbo with a 98 body.?? is that possible ??:eek:
... did they ever put 2.3 s on ?? if someone can explain me what is sitting outside my house i would apreciate it lol . cheers!!
this is from saab decoder
Manufacturer: Saab Automobile AB
Product line: SAAB 9-3
Body type: 2-door Convertible (CV)
Gear box: 4-Speed Automatic
Engine type: B204L - 2.0L turbo with intercooler
Model year: 1999
Assembly plant: Nystad, Finland
Serial number: 052893
Control symbol: Passed
SRS: Dual Airbags, 9-3SE
pics added:

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Did you match the dashboard vin with the door jamb or frame tags? (I assume this car has multiple vin locations like other cars?)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
OK, by VIN number, it is a 99 9-3 2.0 FPT. but cosmetically, it appears to be a 900.

So, first thing, what's it look like under the hood? Is there a turbo at the exit to the exhaust manifold?

Is there a distributor sticking out from the back of the cylinder head?

Is the filler in the center of the valve cover blank and covering spark plug wires or is it embossed with "Direct Ignition"?

Does the steering wheel have 3 spokes, or 4? Radio controls on the steering wheel on not?

Two latches to release the top, or one in the center?

Analog clock above the radio, or digital?

Do all the VIN numbers match? There should be VIN number's applied to all the major body panels along with the one displayed through the windshield and when you open the drivers door.

A couple possibilities come to mind.

It's a 9-3 that was involved in a front/rear accident and 900 parts were used to correct the damage.

It's a 900 with an alien VIN.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, by VIN number, it is a 99 9-3 2.0 FPT. but cosmetically, it appears to be a 900.

So, first thing, what's it look like under the hood? Is there a turbo at the exit to the exhaust manifold?

Is there a distributor sticking out from the back of the cylinder head?

Is the filler in the center of the valve cover blank and covering spark plug wires or is it embossed with "Direct Ignition"?

Does the steering wheel have 3 spokes, or 4? Radio controls on the steering wheel on not?

Two latches to release the top, or one in the center?

Analog clock above the radio, or digital?

Do all the VIN numbers match? There should be VIN number's applied to all the major body panels along with the one displayed through the windshield and when you open the drivers door.

A couple possibilities come to mind.

It's a 9-3 that was involved in a front/rear accident and 900 parts were used to correct the damage.

It's a 900 with an alien VIN.
yup , turbo
say , Direct Ignition
yes, radio control in the steering
1 latch to release convertible top
digital clock
and sure thing all vins match up
oh and it's a clean tittle
posted some pics up there
...Is my saabie an Elegal allien? LOL :cheesy:

·
Registered
18,908 Posts
'99 that was in an accident and had some '98 body parts used. That rear trunk is very poorly aligned, the lights look off on the right. Bumper appears non-level (or trunk/lights are). The car did not come out of the factory that poorly panel matched.

Bumpers are early 9-3, no mismatch there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
interesting , soo the problem is the trunk.... it had a wreck and they put a 98 trunk + lights im guessing? ... danm it the screwed the rear view :( ... i wander if its possible to just remove that ugly middle light bar and move mount the plate holder up LOL

·
Registered
18,908 Posts
You can't remove the lights... or at least you will need to fill some holes if you do. The earlier ng900 had a solid panel in body color in between - you could install one of those although you'd need to paint it unless you could find a matching one. Or you could paint it black and it might look OK. I think the profile of those lights is different - the center lights and the corner lights should match on the surface. I never compared them side by side but I know there is a difference in the ng900 vs. the 9-3.

If it really bugs you, you could find a 9-3 trunk, perhaps even matching in color.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I agree with Bob. Looks like it was wrecked and not reported to the insurance. Then someone found a 900 and swapped over bits here and there. If you have the Car Fax, try and look for long gaps in the tags being registered, as it usually means the car sat for awhile.

If it were me, I'd get under the rear and look for structural damage. If someone happened to like the 900 look over the 9-3, you probably would have a fairly seamless transition like under the passenger side tail light to bumper, etc. Depending on the amount of hidden damage, you might be able to straighten up some of the paneling. Hope you got a good deal on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sure thing , there is a 5 year gap in between last odo read and my mileage on the dash. nothing looks bad under the car so seems like the impact was straight to the trunk, no airbag deployed eigther. guess we have solved the mistery :p . oh and yep i got a heck of a deal! guy was asking $2400 but the car kept bringing things up during the test drive, like almost all the lights in the panel went on Brake, abs, triangle !, odometer stopped working , service soon on the size display, low coolant sensor was bad, and roof didn't open or close at all ohh and right before i was going to take it for $1800, boteau top decided not to lock so he got desperate and let it go for $1600 ;ol; . mechanically the car is just smooth so i considere it a good deal.
i fixed the roof yesterday, all it was the motor oil level was lower than low,
also the triangle ! was just low brake fluid.
the rest looks like an abs module problem or a speed sensor ... still working on those.
Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts