SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Yesterday, I put in some new NGK's and the K&N drop-in filter. This afternoon, my car just died on me out of the blue. Here are the details:

Earlier today, it was about 90F outside and I had the a/c on....my launch to 40mph wasn't suffering too bad so I don't believe the car was that hot (My temp gauge was sitting half way when this whole thing happpened). While taking a turn at about 20mph the car dies, all of my dash lights go on, I pull to the side, then it starts back up with no problem. After about 2 or 3 minutes, I tried again but this time it felt as if the car "temporarily" died, killing my electronics and it seemed like the engine somehow remained (kind of like the feeling from saving a car from stalling out). Thinking it was the a/c I turned it off and drove back home and make it back uneventfully. What could this be (i think it may be something a/c related but i dont want to rush and shell out money on something for no reason)?? Please help, I need this car to get out to work in 4 days and mass transit is not an option so any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
NSantana

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Three things come to mind :

Voltage, easy to test, and I doubt if this is it.

DI cassette, fails in many ways, is not consistent

Fuel pump, similar, but "softer".

I hope the correct spark plugs are being used (resistor type as we have no wires)

This may happen again - I wonder if the DI emits any electrically burned odor ??

·
Registered
919 Posts
Any check engine lights? IF you got ngk plugs, were they either bcpr7es (or 6es)? My vote is get a new DI, never hurts to have a spare since it WILL go out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
probably the strangest answer to this problem but here it is,

I took in my old interstate battery and purchased an Optima dry cell....POW! my problems have since disappeared
:) Thanks for the heads up on the other probs which are on the way (plan to order the DI cassette tomorrow as a precautionary measure). Thanks

and btw i'm sorry for not listing that earlier....i have installed bcpr6es-11's

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I still don't understand the reason why a battery would kill a car mid-drive. I thought only the alternator would do that.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
DougR said:
I still don't understand the reason why a battery would kill a car mid-drive. I thought only the alternator would do that.
an alternator only charges if it recieves a 12 volt power supply, if the battery dies and interupes the supply the alt' out put will drop, then the ecu sees the voltage drop and if its below 7 volts i cuts out hence the engine stops

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Great explanation, thank you very much!

Let me see if I have this straight. So basically it's a big loop. Battery starts out charging alternator, and in turn the alternator charges the battery, but if the battery is no longer accepting charge/not supplying charge to alternator it breaks the loop?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts