SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick front end question: When the car is resting on the ground, when I grab the left and right side of the front right wheel it's slightly loose. Generally, which front end component is worn?

(The lug nuts are tight, and the left side doesn't do this. When I raise the car and grab the top and bottom of the wheel, there's no looseness, and there are no unusual noises when driving or turning.) Thanks.

(Car is a '85 900s with 245,000 miles. Front right lower ball joint and outer tie rod end were replaced about a year ago.)

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
loose wheel

Perhaps it had quite a strick religious upbringing!!!! :cheesy:

It's going to be a brush/bush (can never remember what they are called)

pop the bonnet and check the rubber on each of the upper suspension wishbone bit.

If not that pop the front up on axle stands and pull n push the wheel from lock to lock, you need to either get an assistant to help or struggle to do it on your own, but you've got to feel teh tracking rod end, if it clicks as the wheel moves from lock to lock it's the TRE.

Generally have a good look at all the rubber on the suspension brushes, it'll most likley b eone of those.

I had one go on the wishbone bit, when i turned the steering the wheel would'nt move straight away as the slack was taken up. Not very safe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it has some play side-to-side (the same motion as steering would induce), then the (outer) tie rod end is worn or you're moving the whole steering mechanism. Grab the tie rod itself and see if it has any play. It should have *none*.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts