SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed an HID kit, install went well! DDM Slim 55 watt with 5k bulbs. Well today i was driving and noticed in the reflection of a buddies car that one bulb appeared brighter. So i asked him if it was and he says that one is. what would be the cause of this?

·
Super Moderator
20,432 Posts
Maybe the aim of the headlights is off??

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
a couple of things for you to try...

first of all, switch the ballast. see if there is a change.

second of all, see which headlight it is if there is no change. the drivers side headlight will be pointed lower

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
One of the reasons why I hate aftermarket Chinese hid kits. They are typically very poorly made.

Chances are it's your bulb. Replace them in pairs. Ditch the 5,000k and go with 4,300k. The higher the kelvin the lower the light output. Leave the blue headlights to ricers. Bluer tinted light is also more strenuous on your eyes, so 4,300k is helping in both ways.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll tr adjusting and swapping ballast. I thought at 55watts the 5k would look like a stock white. It is slightly blue though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
it could be "color-shift", which happens to xenon filled bulbs over time, also manufacturing tolerances can be sloppy with these Chinese kits and both bulbs wont come out to the same color temperature.

I agree with above, try swapping ballasts side to side to make sure it isn't a ballast/igniter issue, and then if the problem persists try to a pair of new bulbs (should be quite cheap).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why does everyone swear by the ddm kit then. Should I order bulbs from elsewhere? If so where.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why does everyone swear by the ddm kit then. Should I order bulbs from elsewhere? If so where.
I run VVME 4300k bulbs in my fogs and they are a perfect match to the oem hids (also 4300k). To be honest theres probably 1 or 2 manufacturers for these bulbs out there and every kit is just re-badging them for resale (vvme, xentec, ddm, etc). I dont think you can go wrong with either, its just that with these cheap kits its a mixed bag, you may have no issues, or you may get a bad ballast, bulb, etc.

If it were me i'd hop on ebay and order a set of new bulbs from a US retailer (for quicker shipping), and see where that gets you.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
well DDM used to be good but now they are coming from China I think :roll:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i have 4300k on order, and hopefully i can go adjust them to be level later and see if that is the issues. I do not like the bluish color anyway. i was under the impression that 5000k at 55w would be the equivalent to ~4300k at 35w and that that would be the whitest light i could get. i just hope its not the ballast... pissed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Been through this many times. Especially on the cheaper HID replacement bulbs and kits, the bulbs are very poor quality. My last bulb dimmed after only 2 months of having it installed. Bring the dimmer bulb back to wherever you bought it and make them replace it under warranty (i normally get 1 year warranty on all kits and bulbs) The dimming is a sign that one bulb is about to fail and has lost some of its xenon gas. If you pull the bulb and see any spots or discoloring on the center ball that houses the xenon gas in the bulb then its best to replace this. I went through the same thing many times, even was about to rip out the stock hid ballast and install my own aftermarket kit. The last bulbs i had which were the same ones i have now started flickering when breaking or hitting bumps, and then one would go out whenever i hit a big enough bump. Found out this issue was also just my HID bulbs failing.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been through this many times. Especially on the cheaper HID replacement bulbs and kits, the bulbs are very poor quality. My last bulb dimmed after only 2 months of having it installed. Bring the dimmer bulb back to wherever you bought it and make them replace it under warranty (i normally get 1 year warranty on all kits and bulbs) The dimming is a sign that one bulb is about to fail and has lost some of its xenon gas. If you pull the bulb and see any spots or discoloring on the center ball that houses the xenon gas in the bulb then its best to replace this. I went through the same thing many times, even was about to rip out the stock hid ballast and install my own aftermarket kit. The last bulbs i had which were the same ones i have now started flickering when breaking or hitting bumps, and then one would go out whenever i hit a big enough bump. Found out this issue was also just my HID bulbs failing.
so where do you buy your bulbs?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
well DDM used to be good but now they are coming from China I think :roll:
DDM were always made in China. All aftermarket kits are made in China.

Threefive bulbs are really good quality. You can buy them from theretrofitsource.

·
Registered
20 Posts
All the hid bulbs are made in china now. Even the oem phillips ones are made in china. I get my bulbs from a friends performance shop. If you have the oem hid system the replacement bulb is d2s (even d2c bulbs will work) you can pick them up from any aftermarket or performance car parts store. They go for around 40-60 for a pair of them any color temp except 30,000k (most shops charge more for these bulbs)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't see how having blue ish headlights classifies you as a ricer, especially if our cars have projectors...lol to each their own as long as you can see. I ordered a Notto SE 10k kit for about 150 off car-id, worked well for me then bought my 04. That was about a year and a half ago and they still look pretty good. Not as bright as they were new but they're almost two years old, its expected to dim a little bit over time

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i aimed my headlights level and now its fine :) the 5k on 55w is actually a lot whiter than i thought

i need to cancel those orders now lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts