SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's starting to look like I'm a big hater of OnStar, but I think it's justified. I called OnStar today to buy my $20/100 phone minutes offer after my 30 free minutes expired because I didn't use them all.

I asked them to demonstrate the unlock feature. They were unable. Apparently they can't unlock a 2007 9-3 SC. I asked them for a diagnostic report. They can't do that either - not that it's really any good for anything if they could.

After my $20/100 min offer, the minutes are $0.50 each. Five times what my cellphone is. Plus I need to pay $30 per month for the privelige of paying it. And have ANOTHER phone number to deal with.

So, it's $1000 to get OnStar in a Saab 9-3, and in most cases it's probably already installed in the car even if you don't want it. No unlock, no diagnostic, 5x the price for cellular, plus the monthly fee. You can pair the OnStar phone with a Bell cellular account for an extra charge on your Bell bill. Plus, if you forward your phone to the car, you pay bell minutes plus OnStar minutes.

Dear OnStar, please give me my $1000 back, and come and get your piece of crap system out of my car. A $100 bluetooth system is 100x better than your stupid moneygrab service.

I plan on pulling the fuse for the system after my 'free' trial year (that I paid for in the cost of the system). I might go so far as to remove the box. There are ways to use the antenna for something useful with a little bit of soldering and a weekend of spare time.

Oh yeah, and they can have their XM radio back too. It doesn't even display the artist and track information like a $59 portable unit does. The sound quality is NOT 'CD quality' and it's really not worth paying for.

I'm starting to see the extremely negative effect GM has on anything it touches. I wonder what the Swedes think of all this crap.

G

·
The only useful feature of OnStar I see is the automatic notification of air bag deployment and having them call emergency providers when you're not able to yourself. It would be nice if they would make this available without a monthly subscription. I would gladly pay $100 or more per call if it could save my life.

But besides that? Yeah, it's pretty much useless.. Unless you're dumb enough to forget where you parked so they can flash your lights and sound the horn. :roll:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yeah, I really have to agree. It would be one thing to just have the choice of having it or not, but it's quite another that this option comes at ALL owners expense of a reasonable Bluetooth option.

Your green "send" button just sits there, like a useless lump on your steering wheel.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Oh, and I almost forgot. How much worse do you think people feel about their Onstar systems, now that they obsolete?

You think you want your $1000 back? These folks must be really pissed.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe there is an interface harness for Parrot that lets you plug in to the fancy Blows, oops I mean Bose, audio system and a harness to use the steering wheel controls with their aftermarket bluetooth.

Or, since there's no OnStar in europe, do they get bluetooth? Can we get the pieces and replace the OnStar?

·
Registered
407 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read that the entire module had to be swapped to a new digital unit. At customer's expense. Same thing happened with my home security cellular backup when Rogers shut off their analog system.

If I was an OnStar subscriber and was told that piece of good news I'd cancel.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Yeah I love the car phone until it ran out of minutes. Never looked back at subscribing. Other than that, did anyone notice how annoying the box gets when you are trying to load some luggage, etc? It somehow always ends up in the way. :evil:

·
Registered
502 Posts
duck_man said:
I know it's starting to look like I'm a big hater of OnStar, but I think it's justified. I called OnStar today to buy my $20/100 phone minutes offer after my 30 free minutes expired because I didn't use them all.

I asked them to demonstrate the unlock feature. They were unable. Apparently they can't unlock a 2007 9-3 SC. I asked them for a diagnostic report. They can't do that either - not that it's really any good for anything if they could.

After my $20/100 min offer, the minutes are $0.50 each. Five times what my cellphone is. Plus I need to pay $30 per month for the privelige of paying it. And have ANOTHER phone number to deal with.

So, it's $1000 to get OnStar in a Saab 9-3, and in most cases it's probably already installed in the car even if you don't want it. No unlock, no diagnostic, 5x the price for cellular, plus the monthly fee. You can pair the OnStar phone with a Bell cellular account for an extra charge on your Bell bill. Plus, if you forward your phone to the car, you pay bell minutes plus OnStar minutes.

Dear OnStar, please give me my $1000 back, and come and get your piece of crap system out of my car. A $100 bluetooth system is 100x better than your stupid moneygrab service.

I plan on pulling the fuse for the system after my 'free' trial year (that I paid for in the cost of the system). I might go so far as to remove the box. There are ways to use the antenna for something useful with a little bit of soldering and a weekend of spare time.

Oh yeah, and they can have their XM radio back too. It doesn't even display the artist and track information like a $59 portable unit does. The sound quality is NOT 'CD quality' and it's really not worth paying for.

I'm starting to see the extremely negative effect GM has on anything it touches. I wonder what the Swedes think of all this crap.
Oh yeah? That electronic @$$hole (OnStar) was forced on me when I bought my 2007 9-3SS Aero. When you get the Navigation, you have to get OnStar (and pay an additional $700 for it). Is there any technical reason for this? Absolutely not. Canadian and European models have navigation systems without OnStar. This is an example of GM shamelessly piggybacking an expensive and unnecessary piece of sh|t like OnStar to a desired feature like a navigation system.

And as if that wasn't enough....out of sheer greed (and total lack of respect for the consumer's happiness), they force you to use OnStar by rigging the car so that the presence of OnStar eliminates BlueTooth. The way GM sees it, if you want hands-free calling, it's OnStar or nothing. And at 30-cents to 40-cents a minute (for 1000 minutes or 100 minutes per year, respectively), it is pure highway robbery! You'd get cheaper rates calling someone in Bangladesh or Japan!

So basically, by getting the navigation system, I forfeited the 6-disc changer and Bluetooth. If I didn't get such a good deal on the car ($32,800) and love the drive, appearance, and uniqueness, I'd have gone BMW or Mercedes.

The way I see it, OnStar is nothing more than an additional tax on our SAABs.

Oh, and for $30 a month it'll call 9-11 if my airbag deploys. Whoopty-f-ng-doo!

·
Registered
53 Posts
what does OnStar get you?

Lots of time on hold.
This morning I called them from the vehicle to add the "Directions and Connections" package to my existing "Safe and Sound" Package.
Within a moment I had a rep who had to tranfer me to sales, 3 minutes on hold to speak with sales. I let them know I would like to add the D & C to my existing package using the credit card on file. They placed me on hold. For 20 minutes.
I think that can't really be emphasized enough.

20 minutes.

Then they hung up. The car was in the same stationary location the whole time and had strong analog reception. I called back, and it was another 20 minutes before the situation was resolved. their sevice used to be pretty good, but you can tell they have cut costs dramatically.

I have been on their "Safe and Sound" package for 4 years now. They reward my patronage by telling me the system in my car, which was advertised as digtal upgradable, is not upgradable and will stop working in a few months.
After letting Saab and OnStar know how strong of a Saab and OnStar supporter I was (I talked my dad into getting on 06 9-3) I let them how dissappointed I was. They offered me exactly NOTHING towards remedying the situation or towards a new Saab/GM vehicle.

I am dying to get either an 07 or an 08 Sport Combi. I own my 03 9-3 but have my first baby on the way and want the additional room of a wagon.

Truth be told, as much as I love my Saab, I will probably get a Subaru Outback wagon because of the way Saab/OnStar has treated me added with the things that were promised but never delivered on my car, like speed dependent volume, remote window down and a radio that doesn't change presents on it's own all the time. And that is a shame, because I am on SaabCentral every day. I love my car and Saab had a chance at real positive brand loyalty. I was at my local dealer, Karp, in Rockville Centre NY, and they also have Volvo. The new Volvo coupe has a Swedish flag on the roof, like the Mini did/does with Britain's flag (even though it is made by BMW). And I thought, wouldn't that be cool on my Saab.

·
Registered
267 Posts
jollymonjeff said:
Lots of time on hold.
This morning I called them from the vehicle to add the "Directions and Connections" package to my existing "Safe and Sound" Package.
Within a moment I had a rep who had to tranfer me to sales, 3 minutes on hold to speak with sales. I let them know I would like to add the D & C to my existing package using the credit card on file. They placed me on hold. For 20 minutes.
I think that can't really be emphasized enough.

20 minutes.

Then they hung up. The car was in the same stationary location the whole time and had strong analog reception. I called back, and it was another 20 minutes before the situation was resolved. their sevice used to be pretty good, but you can tell they have cut costs dramatically.

I have been on their "Safe and Sound" package for 4 years now. They reward my patronage by telling me the system in my car, which was advertised as digtal upgradable, is not upgradable and will stop working in a few months.
After letting Saab and OnStar know how strong of a Saab and OnStar supporter I was (I talked my dad into getting on 06 9-3) I let them how dissappointed I was. They offered me exactly NOTHING towards remedying the situation or towards a new Saab/GM vehicle.

I am dying to get either an 07 or an 08 Sport Combi. I own my 03 9-3 but have my first baby on the way and want the additional room of a wagon.

Truth be told, as much as I love my Saab, I will probably get a Subaru Outback wagon because of the way Saab/OnStar has treated me added with the things that were promised but never delivered on my car, like speed dependent volume, remote window down and a radio that doesn't change presents on it's own all the time. And that is a shame, because I am on SaabCentral every day. I love my car and Saab had a chance at real positive brand loyalty. I was at my local dealer, Karp, in Rockville Centre NY, and they also have Volvo. The new Volvo coupe has a Swedish flag on the roof, like the Mini did/does with Britain's flag (even though it is made by BMW). And I thought, wouldn't that be cool on my Saab.
What a shame. GM has such a limited market for this service, and then when someone as yourself, (does in fact hold value and pay dearly for it)

They go ahead and screw you. Oye.

·
Super Moderator
20,349 Posts
jollymonjeff said:
and a radio that doesn't change presents on it's own all the time.
Please explain.

·
Super Moderator
20,349 Posts
3rd stone from the sun said:
I think he meant to say "a radio that doesn't change presets all the time."
I got that ;), what I was getting at is if he is having a problem with the radio reverting back to preset one when it should be going to the next preset is because he needs to reset all the presets. This is a known problem with a simple solution.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Diggs said:
I got that ;), what I was getting at is if he is having a problem with the radio reverting back to preset one when it should be going to the next preset is because he needs to reset all the presets. This is a known problem with a simple solution.
My bad, Diggs.
Besides, it stands to reason that radios don't usually go about (ex)changing presents. :p

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I got a certificate offering a $100 discount (or something like that) if I bought a new GM car with OnStar in the next year. Not bloody likely....

·
Registered
53 Posts
OnStar

Yes, meant presents, not presents. Does the gift of music count?

Explain:
I am refering to the known issue, in which the radio goes to preset number 1 each time instead of the next preset higher. If I am on preset 3 and I want to go up one, I have about 10 seconds to do it. After that, it goes to preset number 1 instead of number 4.

The fix, of rememorizing the presets, is only good for a few weeks, until it has to be done again, so while it is a workaround, it is annoying.

·
Super Moderator
20,349 Posts
jollymonjeff said:
Yes, meant presents, not presents. Does the gift of music count?

Explain:
I am refering to the known issue, in which the radio goes to preset number 1 each time instead of the next preset higher. If I am on preset 3 and I want to go up one, I have about 10 seconds to do it. After that, it goes to preset number 1 instead of number 4.

The fix, of rememorizing the presets, is only good for a few weeks, until it has to be done again, so while it is a workaround, it is annoying.
It sounds like one or several radio stations are changing their RDS signal. It surprises me that this is hapening frequently. Maybe a certain station is working things out. HAL, errr I mean your Saab, does not like this. If it is only one, identify the station and set it as #12. That way when you hit next it will go to #1 just like you wanted to. ;) I agree it is stupid that this has to be done. There may be a software update, I'll look around for it.

Wait, did you mean presents or presents? :cheesy:

·
Super Moderator
20,349 Posts
See if this works. Reset preset AFTER the RDS has begun to scroll.

G

·
jollymonjeff said:
Truth be told, as much as I love my Saab, I will probably get a Subaru Outback wagon because of the way Saab/OnStar has treated me.
I have had many cars and no one was ever perfect. I completely understand why you are pissed off. But if it were me, I would write off the bad experience with Onstar blaming General Motors USA, still buy another Saab and forget Onstar because I think the Saab soul is still in Trollhattan.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts