SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I rebuilt and swapped the motor and trans of a '91 SPG into my blown up '89 Base, and the motor seized during the test drive. I've yet to blow up a transmission, but I've now been through two B202s, I'm not sure which god I angered, but nonetheless, life goes on.

The supply of turbo motors is getting really slim, and I've had my eye on other interesting (and more plentiful) engines that could fit. I'm no stranger to fabricating but I'm not looking at this taking the next 5 years, so I've been really interested in swapping in the 1.8T FWD setup from an early 2000s Audi A4 because of the layout. I can't really find any evidence that someone has tried this swap, or any swaps, short of full V8 RWD conversions. I'm new herebut I took a look through the past and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know of a post or have some tips of what I should look to do with this extremely heavy swedish paper weight in my parking lot?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've only ever seen RWD conversions, because the c900 engine bay is tall not deep. I cant imagine cramming an inline four cylinder in front of a transmission and making it work. MAYBE a Subaru motor since it's only two cylinders deep, or a rotary connected to a Subaru transmission via a KEP adapter, if that's even still a thing you can get. You only have, what 3' in front of the axle line to the radiator. That is not a lot of space. Even if you jettisoned the radiator you're only winning a few more inches to the grille.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only ever seen RWD conversions, because the c900 engine bay is tall not deep. I cant imagine cramming an inline four cylinder in front of a transmission and making it work. MAYBE a Subaru motor since it's only two cylinders deep, or a rotary connected to a Subaru transmission via a KEP adapter, if that's even still a thing you can get.
Well as luck would have it a friend of mine has a couple of these A4s, and I did some quick, sloppy measurements and from half shaft to front of the engine, the Audi engine/trans combo is only about 3 inches longer than the Saab setup, their 1.8 is considerably more compact even with the trans bolted to the back of it. To keep this swap simple I'd have to find that 3 inches somewhere in the rad but I'm ideally trying to keep the suspension geometry front and rear. It seems doable which is why I'm hoping somebody has done the hard work for me. :p

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
Air-cooled VW.
Reverse the Drive in the transaxle like they do for the SCCA Super-Vee race cars. Plenty of race engine parts & mods. Lose hundreds of pounds, those transaxles are bulletproof.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
You better lose some weight with only 70hp!

But, flipped ring gear VW transaxle has also been used with a Mazda rotary. KEP made that adapter too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
What's in front of the differential is simple enough, but it's what's behind the differential that matters. At least in my opinion it does. The steering rack is right smack in the way of anything you'd want to swap into the car. When you raise the rack you've also got to raise the steering knuckles, and adjust the lengths of the steering arms, and re-engineer the universal joint arrangement from the steering shaft to the rack (no welding, please). It's not a simple task to get all of that right without bump steer issues. And even then, the tunnel is rather tiny and doesn't provide much room for a transaxle, & if you need more room you've got to shove the pedals together in an already tight footwell.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've always wondered what the RWD swap people have done to address that issue. I would assume they just end up with janky steering geometry and live with it.

A fun solution could be a rear transaxle.... then you just have a torque tube running down the exhaust tunnel and some shifter cables running back up.

My $0.02: If you can do this level of fabrication, getting a B202 to be reliable should be a cakewalk!

·
Registered
145 Posts
It appears that as long as you're using a front sump, and you're willing to raise the engine up a bit maybe, the RWD thing isn't impossible. This is that B234 RWD 99 anyway, but it doesn't LOOK like too much has been done around the steering/sway bar area. Obviously everything else has been modified, but as long as you can get the bellhousing behind the rack and keep the engine above it, you should be good.

As far as mounting the transmission part of a transaxle above the steering rack while keeping the angle of the axle shafts roughly parallel with the swing of the suspension, I'm not so sure. I think you'd ruin the car.

But I agree with you wholeheartedly: If you can do this level of work, keeping the B202 alive would be too simple.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
That's some nice work there. It doesn't appear that ultimately that configuration sits much higher than stock, but I'll be it was hell on the firewall!

The 900 has several extra inches in the engine bay vs. a 99, but really don't think it's enough to fit an engine AND transmission longitudinally and not totally wreck the handling. One could refer to the AWD 99 which uses a Saab motor and an Audi Quattro transmission... materially similar to what a B5 A4 uses. It's not pretty IMO.

That RWD 99 has the transmission basically under the dashboard, and I'd think that's where it'd end up on a 900 as well. I think by and large 900+engine swap = RWD.

ALTHOUGH I do seem to recall someone did a transverse engine into a 900 or 99. I suppose that's an approach.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The other shots of that 99 show how far back everything inside has been pushed. The shifter is probably no less than 10" back from stock, the steering wheel as well. Truthfully both of these need to be further back anyway, but I think that far basically means the seat & pedals needed to move back ... 4" or so? The back of the engine is indeed under the cowl, necessary to get the bellhousing behind the sway bar I imagine (also desirable for weight dist, obvs...) At least the Trionic obviates the need for the distributor back there.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
That looks like what I'd imagine.

Clearly the answer is Ford 3cyl Ecoboost motor... it's only 12" long but good for an easy 200hp. :D

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
The only major change I would ever be interested to make to the basic design of a C900 drive system is to create an electric car. The question then is do you retain the manual gearbox (as electric drive has maximum torque at zero rpm therefore can easily break stuff).

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
With modern AC motors and PWM control there is about zero reason to retain a 50 year old unobtanium transmission.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts