SaabCentral Forums banner

What brand Ignition cassette

972 Views 20 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  BobSaabit
Mechanic said my ignition cassette is going. Prices range from 180 to 600 online. What's a reliable brand at a reasonable price to use? All stock 2000 base vert.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,717 Posts
Try this if you have a T7 - Black DIC.
or if you have a T5 - Red DIC..

· Registered
Current: 2000 9-3 Aero 5d, Family: 85 900i 3dr.
1,717 Posts
@Leslie dancer - My understanding is the CPS will give you some warning signs prior to failure. The key with the CPS - is to go with the Bosch version only. Others will confirm this.
Having new Spark plugs with the DIC install is also good practice. If you replaced yours recently then that's ok.
Just make sure they are gapped correctly, and the correct type - to ensure peace of mind.
If the old DIC still works - It might be worthwhile holding onto it as a spare as well. If it's suspect and very old - hold onto it until you can find one at a local pick-a-part - as your trunk spare.

· Registered
15,461 Posts
I had bad CPS, which "died" at once, no prior warnings at all.
I can recommend original only.
Spark plugs are cheapest parts to "throw away", so replace them. use only NGK BCPR6/7 ES-11 or PFR6H-10 spark plugs.

· Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
566 Posts
Uh where is there a DIC for sale for 600$? Shut that company down now!!
Well, a new original Saab DIC goes here for only slightly less, around $560. Next time I do really consider ordering that part from Eeuroparts if they ship to Germany (and if I could access it...currently all I get is a 403 error).

· Registered
636 Posts
I went through this ahwile back both with my 03 9-3 vert and my 9000. I ordered a Beck Arnley for my 9-3 vert and it worked great for the rest of the time I owned the car.
I did not trust aftermarket for the red topper (seemed like some folks just spray painted the black ones red) for the 9k so found a good used factory one from my SAAB guru, still working about 4 years later, hoping it don't crap out!

Matt

· Registered
19 Posts
While maybe not the least expensive, it gave me more confidence - this is what I purchased for $320, for my 2000 Viggen. I went for the original-original, with SAAB casted into the DIC, and SAAB bar-code and SEM AMAL SWEDEN. The current OEM is (as I understand), a replacement OEM part number manufactured in Germany.
Not installed yet, keeping it as my spare - because I WILL need it at some point.

By the way - What is a CPS (that I should replace at the same time)? Thanks.

· Registered
11,165 Posts
The CPS is the crankshaft position sensor. I haven't heard that it should be replaced at the same time as the DIC, but most people don't seem to get much more than 100,000 miles out of one. The one in my 1997 SE turbo is at 180,000 miles, though.

· Registered
20,543 Posts
Knock on wood, I've never replaced a single one due to failure, except in my SPG, which apparently ate two in 10k. Gah.
My '01 9-3 had a sudden CPS failure at 80K. No real warning signs except an extra revolution of the crank when cold starting once in a while in the months before hand. If I'd thought that they could fail at those miles, I would have just replaced it as a diagnostic / preventative.

My NG900 had gone 155K with no issues before retirement. My other 9-3's, 110K and 120K and still rocking. When I spoke with my favorite local foreign car mechanic, he said he sees lots of them go due to age vs. miles. FWIW.

· Registered
566 Posts
Well, I got my replacement from Magneti Marelli and going to see how it will work out. At least the respective trouble codes are gone with another one regarding the Charge Air Absolute Pressure Sensor now turning up.

Sheesh...slowly I get the notion that this Saab was secretly assembled by former employees of British Leyland. 😁

· Registered
566 Posts
I could say "and where's Triumph now?"...I like my Saab as well. What irks me a bit on my Saab is that for each fault I delete, two others are springing up. And when I thought that Volvo was expensive (ex 850 and V70 owner), I had not the slightest inkling about the prices being called up for Saab spares in Germany. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts