SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to say it but I think I might have found the next car... even though I'll probably keep the Saabs forever.

For me... the 2020 3 Series M340i is pretty enticing, possibly the 4 Series if they don't end up with that hideous buck tooth front grille. Am also considering the S5 Sportback but hate that tablet on the dash look that is already outdated looking. Like Teslas but not 100% ready to make the switch to electric and all that comes with that and not sold on their rust issues long-term.

What's on your short list?

·
Super Moderator
8,589 Posts
Even though my 9-3 is 17yrs old,i've owned for 15 of them,still in reasonable condition and passed every MOT since i've owned it..I'm looking at FK8 Type R,early days yet though..
FK8 SC Pic.jpg

·
Super Moderator
19,495 Posts
I mostly drive my MK7 GTI.

M340 would be nice with a JB4 on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
When Alfa Romero comes out with a convertible Giulia I’m jumping in ship on my ‘06 9-3 vert. Since there’s no reason to believe that will ever happen, I’m putting a new top on the 9-3 next month.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was in this predicament a couple of weeks ago. The 2.0t was getting long in the tooth and I needed something different. I test drove 435xi, 535xi , G37 and an xf. Ended up with another saab, an aero xwd. Go figure.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in this predicament a couple of weeks ago. The 2.0t was getting long in the tooth and I needed something different. I test drove 435xi, 535xi , G37 and an xf. Ended up with another saab, an aero xwd. Go figure.
Who can go wrong with another Saab, right? That's how we ended up with a small fleet of them now.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When Alfa Romero comes out with a convertible Giulia I’m jumping in ship on my ‘06 9-3 vert. Since there’s no reason to believe that will ever happen, I’m putting a new top on the 9-3 next month.
Love that car but the fear of reliability really scares me away. Apparently they have lots of electrical weird things happening on those. BMW scares me too but less so.

·
Super Moderator
19,495 Posts
How has the reliability been for you on the GTI? You've had it 2 or 3 years now, no?
4 years, bought it used with 11k on it Feb 2016. Dealer trips....0! Saab dealer trips in same period...15? It's pretty quick too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Those GTI's are no joke, but I'd venture a Quattro a3 with the 2.0T will drive very similar if not exactly the same. Basically a AWD GTI without the mark up of a golf R. Also stupid fast with a tune.

·
Super Moderator
19,495 Posts
Yup! AWD adds some weight though. I'd love the traction. S3/Golf R has better gearing though but not nearly as cheap.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I hate to say it but I think I might have found the next car... even though I'll probably keep the Saabs forever.

For me... the 2020 3 Series M340i is pretty enticing, possibly the 4 Series if they don't end up with that hideous buck tooth front grille. Am also considering the S5 Sportback but hate that tablet on the dash look that is already outdated looking. Like Teslas but not 100% ready to make the switch to electric and all that comes with that and not sold on their rust issues long-term.

What's on your short list?
We bought an A5 Sportback for my wife a year ago, 2019 model. The LCD panel is the only aspect of the car I don't like. 0-60 about 5.4 seconds from a 2.0T, Quattro, sport suspension. 19" wheels. I think the LCD goes to a touch screen in 2020 or 21, not sure if they move it or not. Smooth, fast, quiet, AWD, hatch and awesome 7 speed dual clutch transmission. I do not believe the S5 has the DC, think it is an 8 speed auto.Not worth the extra nearly $9000 over a comparable A5 IMO.

But me, not my wife? I am like Mimmi, gonna drive a SAAB until I can't drive. That day is coming, will be 72 in July, lol.
Got three right now to future proof myself ( a good local mechanic and SAAB Central and SAAB Club of Arizona will keep me running). 2011 vert, 2008 Aero SC and a new to me 1970 Sonett III ( two months into it)

I hope ET was being sarcastic about the Buick. I told my sons to rip the keys from my hands if I ever buy a Buick or Toyota. They know I am not kidding.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was thinking a 2.0 Giulia as well as they are depreciating like a rock (sound familiar?). Then again I rented a nice Audi A6 Avant last summer in Italy and it drove like a dream. Interior and exterior of that car is beautiful. I'm partial to wagons as a kid and now that I have kids. Oh yeah can't get that here...just the plastic clad All Road...not horrible...then again I drove a Mercedes E400 coupe for a bit...THAT is a beautiful car. So many options. Like I tell my wife, there is always going to be a better/newer car.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We bought an A5 Sportback for my wife a year ago, 2019 model. The LCD panel is the only aspect of the car I don't like. 0-60 about 5.4 seconds from a 2.0T, Quattro, sport suspension. 19" wheels. I think the LCD goes to a touch screen in 2020 or 21, not sure if they move it or not. Smooth, fast, quiet, AWD, hatch and awesome 7 speed dual clutch transmission. I do not believe the S5 has the DC, think it is an 8 speed auto.Not worth the extra nearly $9000 over a comparable A5 IMO.

But me, not my wife? I am like Mimmi, gonna drive a SAAB until I can't drive. That day is coming, will be 72 in July, lol.
Got three right now to future proof myself ( a good local mechanic and SAAB Central and SAAB Club of Arizona will keep me running). 2011 vert, 2008 Aero SC and a new to me 1970 Sonett III ( two months into it)

I hope ET was being sarcastic about the Buick. I told my sons to rip the keys from my hands if I ever buy a Buick or Toyota. They know I am not kidding.
Very nice car. The center display gets enlarged for 2020 and also goes touchscreen but deletes the wheel.

That's one area BMW seems to have gotten really right, you can control infotainment via console buttons/wheel, voice, touch-screen, and gestures (gimmicky).

I'm considering the A5 and the S5 ... pros and cons but like you said the 0-60 speeds are not that far apart. Much more of a difference on the 3 series between the 4cyl and 6cyl.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts