SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

I'm having trouble with my wastegate at higher levels of boost and was wondering what options I have to go with besides the Forge unit. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
'02 9-5 Aero Wagon, '88 SPG, '02 Viggen Vert, '01 Viggen 4dr, +Triumphs & MGs
1,747 Posts
Also - what is wrong with the forge unit? Just asking out of curiosity...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At higher levels of boost, 21+, under hard acceleration the engine bogs, almost like fuel cutoff. I adjusted the WG and kept max boost around 19-20 psi and it fixed the problem. After 6-7 months, I started having the same problem, so I adjusted the WG again, and now I'm maxing aroun 15-16 PSI which is no fun since I was used to 22. I think my WG is just worn out, if that's possible, so I would like to get a new one that can handle higher boost levels.

I don't know anything about the Forge Unit, so there's nothing wrong with it as far as I know, I just like to explore my options before I make any purchases. Does this mean there aren't many options out there?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
saabguykai said:
At higher levels of boost, 21+, under hard acceleration the engine bogs, almost like fuel cutoff. I adjusted the WG and kept max boost around 19-20 psi and it fixed the problem. After 6-7 months, I started having the same problem, so I adjusted the WG again, and now I'm maxing aroun 15-16 PSI which is no fun since I was used to 22. I think my WG is just worn out, if that's possible, so I would like to get a new one that can handle higher boost levels.

I don't know anything about the Forge Unit, so there's nothing wrong with it as far as I know, I just like to explore my options before I make any purchases. Does this mean there aren't many options out there?
buy the forge wastegate actuaor...thats the only option basically...we cant us external wastegates cuz we dont have the manifold, piping, and turbo for it...buy the forge with the upgraded spring...your problems should be solved...i should invest in this too

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Your symptoms could be a lot of things - the only way to know for sure is to disconnect the hose to the actuator and see if you get full boost. If not then yes the WG is opening under the back pressure in the exhaust housing. If not then you have a fault somewhere else.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. When I first had the problem, my mechanic and I went through a bunch of different things and ended up with the WG being the problem, so I'm probably gonna go with the Forge unit and hopefully that will take care of it.

Tolga- You missed an awesome ride in PA this weekend...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts