SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

It was finally cooler here in Cleveland today, so I bit the bullet and decided to replace my bearing-crunchy alternator. It took most of the day; the difficult bits not a surprise--prying out the old alternator, and getting the pulley off of it. Ugh ugh ugh. All this interspersed with a few trips back inside to check the best Saab resource on the info-highway.

All's well, and the job's done. I couldn't have done it without the knowledge and experience others here have shared, so many thanks to all.

cheers,
David

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
When I got my first Saab and joined this site I also purchased the Haynes manual for it. I assumed that the site would supplement the book sometimes and that was about it. I never thought that the Haynes would end up supplementing the site! I can only image that this site has saved all of us collectively millions of dollars. It would be interesting if we could put a dollar figure to that.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I agree - Just learning about cheap sources for parts (eeuro and thesaabsite especially) has saved me a ton! This forum and Brickboard (volvo) are awesome. I've checked out other forums for friends from time to time and they're prety lame.

It's hard to figure exactly how much we save though. Do I count what it would have cost to get the jobs done at a shop? Do I deduct how much my own time is worth an hour? Do I count the payments I would be making on a newer car if I didn't have this kind resource? Would these be payments for the civic I'd probably have bought, or payments for a SAAB?

And how do you figure all the little extra dollars I spend dawdling over my car in a way a mechanic wouldn't? For example I'm changing my battery this weekend, and I'm painting the battery tray with POR-15 (about 20 bucks for the container) and sprayed the connections down with contact cleaner (about 6 bucks for the spray). The kid at pep boys would't be doing this, and he or she wouldn't wait overnight for the paint to dry. So, is this an extra $26.00 added to the battery cost, or something that'll add X months to the cars life?

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Wish I'd had the intenet 12 years ago when I got my bimmer. I would have had it more than 2 years probably. ;oops: Sorry, but I saw one just like it this morning. I almost rolled down the window and made an offer....

I'll tell you another thing this site offers (and forgive me for sounding like a school counselor). It offers encouragement. Both directly, by people telling someone how easy some repair or upgrade is. And indirectly by way of people seeing someone doing something and saying..."If HE can do that....it can't be too hard.":cheesy:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Genespleen said:
Hi folks,

It was finally cooler here in Cleveland today,
You have no idea what a resource you have. ;) PM me before a big job like that next time. I want to learn as much as I can about working on these cars. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts