SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perusing CL last night for Saab related stuff, like I do about twice a week, I came across a listing for a Tech 2. Now I've been contemplating purchasing a Tech 2 clone for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger. Back to the ad. It said Tech 2, barely used, in excellent condition - $75. Hmmmmmmmm????

The pics showed a Tech 2 , two adapters (one being OBDII), a power cable with clips to hook up to car battery, a CANDI module, the main Tech 2 cable, and what looked to be an original GM Tech 2 case. I emailed the guy immediately seeing that it had just been posted about 1 hour ago. He got right back to me and told me a few things that led me to believe this was a legitimate deal. I asked him if the memory module was in the unit and he said not that he was aware. I also asked him if it was a clone or authentic GM, letting him know it didn't matter to me either way. He said he bought it from a GM mechanic for a lot of money thinking it was the real deal. Used it about 5 times and had been collecting dust in his closet for years.

Long story short, the memory card (GM) was in the unit after all, he just wasn't familiar with the unit, using it as is, out of the box to diagnose a project Chevy around 7 years ago. I checked it out, booted it up and ran through some of the menus. All good. Bonus - it appears to be an original GM Tech 2 as it has the date code on the underside of the memory card housing lid. I'm so stoked as you can imagine 馃榿 Anyone have any other way to confirm if it's an original Tech 2 other than the date code?
Table Plant Flower Desk Audio equipment
Communication Device Finger Output device Gadget Display device
Electronic engineering Computer hardware Data storage device Gadget Electronic component

Registered
Looks original, because serial nr. is not what clones have (and it differs from my both TECH2:s).
When you power it, how display acts?

Reactions: jvanabra

Registered
That does not look like original.
Original shows "system initiliazing" in 1 row.

• Wow
Reactions: Randy2576

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It gave an RTC fail on boot up, so I changed the internal battery. No more RTC fail and no more "System Initializing" on two lines. All nice and centered now. I have never heard of a clone having the date on the inside lip, so I maintain that it's an original GM model. And as Paul pointed out, cheap either way............BUT MINE IS REAL, REAL, REAL, REAL!!! Whew, gotta watch that blood pressure :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For a newbies sake - how much are we talking for an original tech2 and for a clone?
I wouldn't bother with an original as the clones, especially from some of the established sites can do all that the orgs did. At least in the spectrum of us dealing with our Saabs. Clones come in two main flavors. One comes with all the cables and accessories along with the main unit in a box, that goes for around $280 or so, then you have all the above but packed in a plastic carrying case for around $45 more. Here's one I googled just now for $250 in a box: Cheapest GM TECH2 Diagnostic Scanner with TIS2000 Software Full Set in Carton Box

Here's an original for $950 Original GM Tech 2

Registered
Genuine parts are US$2k+ new, and typically US$1k+ used.

Clones run from US$250 to US$400 depending on the day of the week. Typically about US$300 after shipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts