SaabCentral Forums banner

what a day...

772 14
I received all of my parts in the mail this week to tune up my car, so I decided I would tackle it today thinking it might take a few hours at most. Everything started out just great, I stopped by the store and bought some oil and then let the car sit while I ate lunch. I then tackled the taillight gaskets which took only a few minutes. I proceeded to change the spark plugs, gaped the new ones and put some dielectric grease on the DIC tubes. Then I changed the air filter with a new Mann filter and pulled off the AIC and cleaned and lubricated it. All this only took a little over an hour and I was feeling good.

I then decided to change the oil. I remembered last time that the drain plug was a pain to get out so I prepared myself. I torqued and torqued and it would budge...eventually only last attempt with an open-ended wrench resulted in a rounding of the bolt :x. I panicked and tried some more, it got even worse, bits of metal just kept coming off. I figured I would try some vice grips, no luck. I even tried a plumbers wrench, but by that point the drain plug was destroyed. I almost broke down out of frustration. I eventually went and bought a new drain plug and purchased a set of bolt extractor sockets. I hammered the right size on and applied some liquid wrench...that did the trick. Then I tried to remove the oil filter (the pricey fram one). It wouldn't budge, the rubber ring had fused to the metal. I went and bought a strap wrench and with my headlamp on finally managed to get it off. I put my new Mann filter on and added the oil.

All this took onwards of 6 hours. It was ridiculous, but the end result was encouraging. My car feels better now than it ever has in the past, but it was a rough day.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are overpriced junk, I think even the walmart brand ones are probably better. I know in the past my uncle had two Fram filters fail in his Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I bought the more expensive one last time in hopes of it being better. I really think all the Fram filters are the same. This time I ordered an actual Mann filter. They're actually made in Germany. My first indication that it was superior to the Fram was that it weighted about twice as much. It feels much more robust, I am much more confident in putting 3000+ miles on a filter like the Mann.

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it was already partially stripped the last time I changed the oil. So I bought what was available some drain plug made in China with a chintzy plastic gasket. I just reused the old metal and rubber washer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.