SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received all of my parts in the mail this week to tune up my car, so I decided I would tackle it today thinking it might take a few hours at most. Everything started out just great, I stopped by the store and bought some oil and then let the car sit while I ate lunch. I then tackled the taillight gaskets which took only a few minutes. I proceeded to change the spark plugs, gaped the new ones and put some dielectric grease on the DIC tubes. Then I changed the air filter with a new Mann filter and pulled off the AIC and cleaned and lubricated it. All this only took a little over an hour and I was feeling good.

I then decided to change the oil. I remembered last time that the drain plug was a pain to get out so I prepared myself. I torqued and torqued and it would budge...eventually only last attempt with an open-ended wrench resulted in a rounding of the bolt :x. I panicked and tried some more, it got even worse, bits of metal just kept coming off. I figured I would try some vice grips, no luck. I even tried a plumbers wrench, but by that point the drain plug was destroyed. I almost broke down out of frustration. I eventually went and bought a new drain plug and purchased a set of bolt extractor sockets. I hammered the right size on and applied some liquid wrench...that did the trick. Then I tried to remove the oil filter (the pricey fram one). It wouldn't budge, the rubber ring had fused to the metal. I went and bought a strap wrench and with my headlamp on finally managed to get it off. I put my new Mann filter on and added the oil.

All this took onwards of 6 hours. It was ridiculous, but the end result was encouraging. My car feels better now than it ever has in the past, but it was a rough day.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Note to self, keep spare drain plug for emergencies. So far all service has been at the dealer, but I may before too long do a DIY oil/filter change with Motul or Amsoil. I always did the oil and filter changes on my Porsche Turbos myself, that way I knew it was done with maximum care, and everything was kept as clean as possible.

What size socket does your car take ? It's metric right ? I'll need to find this out for my car. Of course if you change oil and filter more often, 5k-7.5K miles(especially for Turbos) it's also a lot easier I think, less chance of things fusing together, etc.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely, I think the best lessons are the ones that are learned the hard way. Now at least I think I know what not to do in the future :cheesy:.

·
Registered
649 Posts
FWIW from what I've read, fram filters are overpriced crap, and you should stick with mobile-1 or K&N (same filter) or purolator PureONE as a close second.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are overpriced junk, I think even the walmart brand ones are probably better. I know in the past my uncle had two Fram filters fail in his Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. I bought the more expensive one last time in hopes of it being better. I really think all the Fram filters are the same. This time I ordered an actual Mann filter. They're actually made in Germany. My first indication that it was superior to the Fram was that it weighted about twice as much. It feels much more robust, I am much more confident in putting 3000+ miles on a filter like the Mann.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I constantly hear little good about Fram and little bad about its competitors.
I doubt if these companies will ever change, but sooner or later the truth will emerge..
I have the original drain plug on the '96 900S..
Too may DIYs, including the teen-agers at the quickie oil change emporiums simply do not know how to use a wrench....:x:(:roll::nono;

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it was already partially stripped the last time I changed the oil. So I bought what was available some drain plug made in China with a chintzy plastic gasket. I just reused the old metal and rubber washer.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Yeah, it was already partially stripped the last time I changed the oil. So I bought what was available some drain plug made in China with a chintzy plastic gasket. I just reused the old metal and rubber washer.
The plastic gasket is OK, but as opposed to a copper one, or metal w/rubber, it must be replaced each and every time and be torqued carefully - which precludes the quickie joints.
Nylon is quite rugged, I'd reuse it, carefully.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yet another reason to do all that you can in your own work space, with your own tools and within your own skillset.

My oil drain plug looks like it just came out of the box. The one on my wife's VW was mangled when I returned from Iraq.

Glad you got it out. Amazing how the simplest jobs turn out to be real nightmares sometimes. That's why I always try to start Friday after work!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I've been using a NAPA gold filter for my oil changes and haven't had any problems. I too have spare drain plugs, in addition to washers. I only hand tighten each of those and then the drain plug about a quarter turn. No problems with oil changes at all since the first I have done.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I didn't realize Fram was overpriced crap. Never really thought about it. I guess I will switch to the K&N now. I think the lesson learned here is not to over tighten the oil plug!

·
Super Moderator
3,054 Posts
Listen guys, as much as we want to love "our" brand of oil filter, an oil filter is an oil filter. If you change your oil every 3-5k miles (5k on a N/A NG900) you could use a peice of wire for a filter, nothing is going to fill up a filter enough to block it, and unless some serious engine work was just done, there is not going to be enough gunk to fill it up. An oil filter is an oil filter. I've always used Fram, my dad used Fram on his F 150, I use Fram on all my friends cars, and all is always well. Also, is $3.50 overpriced?

Tom

·
Registered
369 Posts
Listen guys, as much as we want to love "our" brand of oil filter, an oil filter is an oil filter. If you change your oil every 3-5k miles (5k on a N/A NG900) you could use a peice of wire for a filter, nothing is going to fill up a filter enough to block it, and unless some serious engine work was just done, there is not going to be enough gunk to fill it up. An oil filter is an oil filter. I've always used Fram, my dad used Fram on his F 150, I use Fram on all my friends cars, and all is always well. Also, is $3.50 overpriced?

Tom
Unfortunately not all oil filters are of the same quality. There are manufacturers of better quality with more filter material, and designed to capture smaller particulates. I have heard too that fram filters are garbage, I didn't believe it and I used fram for a long time. Then upon inspecting the filter before it goes on as I always would, I noticed there there was a metal slug in the bottom of the filter from the perforated oil return plate...and there was another slug that was hanging on by a bur; right there is a HUGE quality control issue. I told a coworker this and the next day he brought in a fram filter that did not have any oil return holes punched into it that he almost put on his car a year ago. If you compare a Napa gold filter to a fram there is a major difference in weight, likely thicker metal and or more filter material, both of which are good. Also the oil return plates seem to be deburred to boot! All things point to a superior filter quality and also without a universal bad rap for a couple extra dollars.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unfortunately not all oil filters are of the same quality. There are manufacturers of better quality with more filter material, and designed to capture smaller particulates. I have heard too that fram filters are garbage, I didn't believe it and I used fram for a long time. Then upon inspecting the filter before it goes on as I always would, I noticed there there was a metal slug in the bottom of the filter from the perforated oil return plate...and there was another slug that was hanging on by a bur; right there is a HUGE quality control issue. I told a coworker this and the next day he brought in a fram filter that did not have any oil return holes punched into it that he almost put on his car a year ago. If you compare a Napa gold filter to a fram there is a major difference in weight, likely thicker metal and or more filter material, both of which are good. Also the oil return plates seem to be deburred to boot! All things point to a superior filter quality and also without a universal bad rap for a couple extra dollars.
+1 for all of the above, plus Fram uses a glued piece of cardboard as their high pressure bypass, which fails easily and then just cycles the oil through without filtration. Google some oil filter comparsons online. I stopped using Fram after a bit of research a couple of years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts