SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some upgrade investments on my 2K 9-5 AERO but want to know if its worth continuing.
The goal is to achieve a tight firm yet road accurate ride.

I also have a '04 9-3 AERO CV and it rides nice. What are the differences and can it be achieved on my 2K?
If achievable then I will continue with custom work. Alternately sell and move on to another car. Any ideas - advice?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
The front control arms geometry was upgraded in 2002, and I believe the sway bar diameters were increased slightly on the Aeros. There used to be a hub brace kit for the '99-'01 models to stiffen it up, but I couldn't find it for sale on any of the sites anymore. Maybe someone on here has the kit from a donor car??

Otherwise, get some quality lowering springs and either Bilstein or Koni dampers and do the SAS sway bar kit at least on the rear. That setup alone will transform the car's handling. If you want to swap out bushings for poly ones you can do that to your heart's content and you will get improvement there as well.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front control arms geometry was upgraded in 2002, and I believe the sway bar diameters were increased slightly on the Aeros. There used to be a hub brace kit for the '99-'01 models to stiffen it up, but I couldn't find it for sale on any of the sites anymore. Maybe someone on here has the kit from a donor car??

Otherwise, get some quality lowering springs and either Bilstein or Koni dampers and do the SAS sway bar kit at least on the rear. That setup alone will transform the car's handling. If you want to swap out bushings for poly ones you can do that to your heart's content and you will get improvement there as well.

Cheers!
Thanks j006, I did replace all front-end bushings with POWERFlex and replaced the shocks with Koni's FSD all around. Although some improvement it still seems a bit bouncy to me (and in comparison to 9-3). I was entertaining getting coil-overs. My plans is to Maptun upgrade to 340hp but will not make sense if suspension is not up to par.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Thanks TankTAk. Are the SAS bars a step up from AERO sway bars?
SAS bars are beefier than Aero bars.
SAS bars are 1" (25mm) Front and 7/8" (22mm) Sway Bar, where as the Aero bars are....I dunno as it depends on the year but nowhere near as beefy as the SAS

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

Cheers!
Funny you say i made a set but i did not use them since i upgraded to my porsche brakes and the bracket is smaller so im remaking another set. might make a few more if they sell.

From what i know, they changed the size of one of the control arm busing by 10mm, more bushing surface area but less aluminum housing and they changed the wheel knuckle from cast iron to aluminum other then that they are still the exact same.

Personally i think the first gens are stronger then the 02+ but the 02+ might have a smoother feel due to this change.

Sway bar wise an aero sway bars where always the same the SAS bars are good i plan to do them in the future.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great guys, thanks
I am looking to invest in premium coil-overs. Performance supersedes cost. Well, you know.

Are H&R's superior CO for my needs? Anyone have experience with H&R's?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts