SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I purchased a 1995 900 Convertible this weekend and I have a few questions. First I drove it over the week end in the rain and noticed that there was water in the carpet on the left front passenger section. Should I assume there is a hole in the frame or could there be something else leaking?

Second, the leather seats are in pretty rough shape. Are there any options between reupholstering and cheep looking seat covers?

Thanks in advanced for any suggestions.

Al

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Al,

As the water is on the left of the passenger side ( I am guessing you meant the front passenger footwell ) and being left hand drive in the US, I am assuming the water is nearer the centre console than the door.

If water ends up here, it can be through the bulkhead or even through the floor level air vents, I wouldn't blame the convertible top frame as you would have seen water running down your windshield and behind the dash if it were leaking where the top meets the windshield surround.
If you want piece of mind there are adjustable grub screws on the clips that hold the top to the windshield, so you can adjust it to clamp tighter over the rubber seals when the clips are fastened, but not too tight or they will be hard to realease, plus you may damadge something!
I would have a look in the engine bay and see if there are any holes/perished rubber gromets in the bulkhead/firewall.

As with your seats, re-upolstering is very expensive but will look great. Seat covers look crap, especially on a nice sculpted interior like Saabs.
That leaves repair or replacement. If the leather is just worn and discoloured (no tears) you can refurbish them yourself very cheaply if you have a weekend free to put the labour in. The lazy but more expensive way would be to get new seats from a breakers/eBay/classifieds on this site etc..

Hope that helps some...

·
Registered
7,876 Posts

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Cleaning the drains is or should be part of the annual service, along with the cleaning/renewal of the cabin filter and the inspection of everything....

Check your service records...This may never have been done:nono;

The lower drain handles the condensation from the evaporater and leaky heater cores;oops: ..
yes, several years ago at the inspection I saw a drop of green -since "fixed".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled the drain hose and found that it was totally plugged. I cleared all the debris. Since I live in the Pacific NW I'll get a chance to test it in the rain and see if this resolves the leaking issue.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
You need to clean both hoses not just the upper hose :cheesy:

Glad that was your problem. Like earthworm said, it should be part of an annual cleaning after the fall leaves have fallen :lol:.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The lower drain is about a foot below the upper elephants nose drain.

It can be accessed from the undersides with the car on your ramps, better yet, a lift.
I do not think this one can clog, but it should be inspected nevertheless..

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would think you could find a set of seats from a junkyard car (preferably a non convertible). I am sitting on the one out of my old 89 900 Turbo, and its in great shape, but the rest of the car was crap at the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts