SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mines a RHD model and recently I've noticed the drivers floor pan is soaking.
Is there a drain tube/hole that gets blocked causing these to flood inside?
Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The only things I can think of are:

1. The drain to the heater air inlet is blocked and is somehow letting water through the vent system. The drain comes out in the upper part of the offside wheelarch.

2. You might have a leak in the windscreen seal (bonded on a convertible).

3. I can't remember off hand but there might be a rubber bung in the floorpan.

4. You could have a leak in the heater matrix but the coolant level would be dropping if that were the case.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Probably the drain at the bottom the the ventilation intake box on RHS corner under bonnet. Gets blocked with leaves. Fills up with rain and leaks inside car. Can be difficult to see but still accessible if you have AC matrix installed. Poke out with stiff wire and flush through with water.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Indeed the intake box was clogged. I've poked it thru and now water just pours straight out. Hopefully it'll be dry motoring from now on.

Thanks a million. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me in my Subaru WRX. I thought it was the most retard thing Subaru did, was put the AC/heater back up lines on the inside of the car, and to boot, guess what was directly under the carpet of the lines; the damn ECU for the car. RETARDED. What happened was the AC/heater line got clogged, and then it backs up into the car. Poor design if you ask me. I don't know if yours is the same problem, but I would like to find out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Firedawg-
Will let you know once the floor's dried out and we get some more rain to give it a good test. Fingers crossed.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bonnet has two sets of vents. It's under the RH side ones.
I have to park under a tree so has ended up with loads of cr*p getting through and settling in the bottom of the box underneath.

·
Registered
245 Posts
You might want to cut out a piece of perforated aluminium screen, such as from a frying pan splatter guard rather than window insect screen, to fit under the louvre opening to catch the debris. Make it easily removable so you can flush it clean when needed. I have the same problem, even without parking under trees!

Thanks to another thread, a broken guitar string makes a good clean out tool - flexible yet stiff.

My 92 convertible has only the right side louvres - does the left side louvre appear only on the S model? Is it used for anything, such as turbo intake?

TIA for info!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
The left-side bonnet louvre was only present on early cars, i.e. 1979-80 or so, it served merely a cosmetic purpose and was blocked off to avoid messing the brake reservoir.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Mines a RHD model and recently I've noticed the drivers floor pan is soaking.
Is there a drain tube/hole that gets blocked causing these to flood inside?
Thanks again in advance.
Good sign that the drain port for the cabin air intake under the vent in the bonnet is blocked up, and water ends up flowing into the ducting inside the car.

Craig.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Firedawg-
Will let you know once the floor's dried out and we get some more rain to give it a good test. Fingers crossed.....

Wobbles, I have exactly the same problem in mine, the floor on the driver's side is wet.
Can you let me know if you have solved the problem with draining the intake box?
I need to get this sorted. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Wobbles, I have exactly the same problem in mine, the floor on the driver's side is wet.
Can you let me know if you have solved the problem with draining the intake box?
I need to get this sorted. Thanks.
Luke, it's so easy to check. Look down into the box and the drain is visible at the bottom but it does get covered in debris. Partially obscured if you've got AC. Poke a flexible wire down it.
If you pour water into the intake box it should drain out under the car. If it doesn't it's blocked and it's in the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Peva,
I can't seem to figure out how to look into the drain as it is covered by the flapper. Is there a way of taking the flapper off to be able to access it? I would not be able to pour water into it wit the flapper on it, so can't really check if it is blocked.
I bought my 900 just last week, so I really have no experience yet...

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
The flapper should only close if the air recycle button is pushed, this is normally next to the AC button. Turn it off and it should open.
Failing that, disconnect the little hose that goes to the flapper actuator and push it open. Reconnect after. Sounds as though there's a possibility the flapper is stuck closed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The flapper is open, I am just wondering where the actual drain hole is, I cannot seem to find it when looking inside the box? Is the hole directly under the flap, so that you have to pull the plap up? Or should I leave the flap open and then be able to see the drain hole?
Are you clearing the blockage by disconnecting the tube from the box from the ouside? Or do you put the wire inside the open flap into the box?
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Luke, you should really keep your query to one thread. Having two going certainly confuses me. Also your terminology is confusing. The flapper I regard as the flap at the top of the box that closes when you push the recirc switch. The component that obscures the drain hole is the AC cooling matrix, if you have AC installed. The drain hole is below the bottom RHS of this. In fact, the moulding of the box slopes toward the drain hole at the bottom. You may be better off attacking the drain hose outside underneath. It is very accessible. The bottom of this hose is narrower and has a slit in it which traps debris. You can squeeze and manipulate this hose with your fingers. It is very soft and if you have water in the box it will normally eventually clear itself flushing the debris with it. You can even poke a wire up from the bottom. Finish off with a good flush through. Good luck. Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts