SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice now, my passenger-side floor has accumulated about 1/4" of water after a heavy rain. There's no sign of leaking thru the passenger door weatherstripping. My first thought was a clogged sunroof drain. The problem is, suddenly my sunroof will not retract so I can access the drains. The motor runs, I can see the rollers move in the S-shaped tracks to lower the trailing edge, and just as it starts to move aft it stops. I can move it back to the closed position (thankfully), and the tilt function still works normally. I've tried pulling/pushing it back while holding the switch and it won't budge.

So I have questions on 2 issues:
  1. Any suggestions on how to un-stick the sunroof?
  2. If it turns out that the sunroof drain is not the source of the leak, where else could it be coming from? If it helps, the car is parked on a slight incline when the leaks occur.

·
Super Moderator
19,951 Posts
Cabin fan filter housing. Remove, scrape off foam, caulk, replace.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Also check the rubber flap on the drain under the area where the cabin air filter sits. It can fill with leaf debris, clog, and fill the area with water that then spills over and through the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also check the rubber flap on the drain under the area where the cabin air filter sits. It can fill with leaf debris, clog, and fill the area with water that then spills over and through the cabin air filter.
This was it. Sure enough, there was a golf-ball sized clog in the cabin air filter drain.

I was able to trace it when I started driving: suddenly the damp floor had a pool of water sloshing around, and upon closer inspection I found a trickle of water running down the front left corner of the passenger footwell. It was coming from under the plastic shroud on the side of the center console, so it was only visible for about 2 inches.

So that's dealt with. Any suggestions on getting the sunroof to work?

·
Registered
2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Cabrio
25 Posts
When you use the switch to command the sunroof to slide open, what response does the vehicle give? Does the vehicle have pinch protection?

This is a pretty simple circuit. There's the sunroof module, there's the resistor pack in the switch, a module power and a module ground.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The motor runs, I can see the rollers move in the S-shaped tracks to lower the trailing edge, and just as it starts to move aft it stops. I can move it back to the closed position (thankfully), and the tilt function still works normally. I've tried pulling/pushing it back while holding the switch and it won't budge.
I know I have pinch protection for the windows, so I assume it's in the sunroof also. But it doesn't reverse, it just stops, so I don't think it's pinch protection at work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...or maybe that wasn't it. It rained again today, and I got another quart of water in the right floorboard!

That seems to much to be "residual" from before I cleaned the drains last night. Anywhere else it can be coming from? FWIW, there is no foam or caulk to be found in the area of my cabin air filter.

·
Super Moderator
19,951 Posts
then caulk it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
caulk what? You mean glue down the plastic cover?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, something else is going on. The carpet began damp from yesterday's pool of water, but after driving about 30 minutes there is another pool of water 1/4 inch deep. :oops: It does not smell of coolant. Maybe the air conditioner condensate drain? Where is that located and how do I access it?

·
Registered
2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Cabrio
25 Posts
The condensate drain is low on the firewall, about mid-ship but slightly on the R side.

But seriously... the factory foam seal around the cabin filter / blower housing is a known pattern failure with these vehicles. Pull the housing, scrape off the foam, and re-seal with silicone sealant. And for gods sake, do not jam a coat hanger up the evaporator drain tube.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I drove 30 minutes home with the AC off, and didn't seem to accumulate any new water. So that would support the hypothesis that the air conditioner is the source of the water. I'd been running the fan on max setting, directed to the floor, hoping to help dry out the carpet, but it looks like that was what was creating the flood in the first place.

The condensate drain is low on the firewall, about mid-ship but slightly on the R side.
That would seem to agree with where the water is coming from. Sounds like I have to find and access this drain from underneath the car?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2 days without air conditioning = 2 days without a wet floor.

I found some YouTube videos showing where to look for the AC drain, and also where the foam and caulk that Diggs referred to is supposed to be.

I removed the turbo heat shield and probed the drain outlet with some weed-whacker string—nothing. So I removed the side panel of the center pedestal and I think I’ve found the culprit

The orange sponge material is completely disintegrated. I’ll bet this is where the water originates—there’s no way it can be sealing properly, whatever it is. So obviously it needs to be replaced. What is this part called?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I picked all the dry-rotted foam out and wiggled the rubber boot around. I don't know why or how, but now it's not leaking anymore. 🤷‍♀️ I ran the AC for about 20 minutes--no water inside and plenty draining below the car. This is good because I have no idea how I'd replace that part without dismantling the entire dash. I'm afraid to replace the kick panel; Murphy's Law dictates that it will start leaking again as soon as I do.

I found a YouTube video describing where the weatherstrip is supposed to be on the cabin air filter housing. I went ahead and scraped the residue of the original gasket off, cleaned the housing, added 5/16" foam weatherstrip from the home store, and re-installed it. Unfortunately, in the process I broke one of the windshield wiper bushings, so that meant another YouTube video and another trip to get replacements. A second one broke in the process of fixing the first one (no surprise) so I had to disconnect the lever from the motor. It then took at least 30 minutes to adjust the clocking to get the wipers to park in the right position. But they're working now.

So I've definitely learned a lot from this experience, but I suspect I'm not out of the woods yet..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts