SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting thread on an Advanced Driving forum here reckons that all Saabs are well driven 'without exception'. Always nice to hear :cheesy:

Although I'm not sure why he felt compelled to put two flavours of BMW on the list ;)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Eveybody give yourself a pat on the back. It seems true from my experience. Two of the best drivers I know drive Saabs, one an 89 900 with 415k miles at least count in mid March, and the other a 99 9-3.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
timmehhhhhh said:
i doubt the rule applies for the younger people on this forum. i drive like an ***!
Perhaps, but consider that buying a Saab in the first place implies some sort of rational thinking (unless it's by pure coincidence). I had a Volvo when I first learned to drive and for 5 years, I drove like a loon. When I got the Saab, something in me calmed down. I became considerate, efficent, and a much 'smarter' driver. I'm not into the metaphysical meanings of things but, there is something about a Saab that makes you want to drive better.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had an Acura and also used to drive like a maniac. Well, the SAAB completely slowed things down considerably. I rarely go over the speed limit in my Viggen (unless it's around Sullivan County).

-Avinash

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Yeah well things sped up with I went from my 86 VW GLI to the 900SE with almost twice the power stock and over twice the current power of that beat beat beat Jetta. But it being so nice, I might drive the same speed on the highway, but you wont find me bareling any dirt roads. Its more expensive and I love keeping my things new as possible. If Im anal about magazines geting bent and beat up, just think about it when its 1000 times more expensive.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I try to not be a dumbass, and I'm not *** 99% of the time. The 1% is reserved for those that really and truely piss me off. I'm very mellow and forgiving when I'm driving cause I enjoy it so much so you really have to get on my bad side.

Like this guy the other day who was tailgating me a 75 mph when I was clearly going as fast as the guy in front of me. I moved over first chance I got, let him by and then tailgated him for a while. Then we came upon a truck in the left lane, and even though the middle lane was wide open he wouldn't move over until I went first. I went back over to the right lane and he sped off to tailgate some one else. :roll:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
it seems like you guys do all these mods but dont ever "test" them...i agree, the stereotypical saab driver is def well maintained and mannered, but we need to have SOME fun.....

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cpenning623 said:
it seems like you guys do all these mods but dont ever "test" them...i agree, the stereotypical saab driver is def well maintained and mannered, but we need to have SOME fun.....
I have plenty of mods and plenty of fun using them, but I'm also an advanced driver, which means that I don't intentionally take risks, I anticipate potential hazards using the police system of car control and I have a smooth and safe drive that makes better progress than other roadusers.

·
Super Moderator
11,178 Posts
Jezzadee makes an excellent point. Anyone can drive fast, but driving fast & well, is an art. I always assume that the drivers in the other lanes are inattentive, inherently negligent, rude, ignorant and/or significantly cognitively impaired. I always leave ample room between me and the car in front of me. Often this means the above simpletons will swerve into my lane between me and the car in front of me, but somehow, I always seem to end up well ahead of them by the end of the trip. I think of it as conservative speeding (setting a rapid but safe pace which is at or just a tad faster than the flow of traffic with occasional judicious applications of boost when necessary). Oh, and I don't talk on the cell phone while driving, or drink stuff, or read the paper.

It is getting much more difficult to drive rapidly in this country. Driver's Ed. still teaches that the left lane is for passing, but it seems that there are way too many people (card carrying members of the Anti-Destination League) who like to pull out into it, set the cruise at 65 or 70 and then take a nap.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
cpenning623 said:
My "fun and testing my mods" is autocrossing and now starting to get into the whole drag race thing. Went to go drag race (at Maryland Int. Raceway) last weekend but it got rained out.:evil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts