SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im considering the saab 9-2x aero, but i only recently even heard of it. the only reason why i'm considering the car is because of the huge discount that gm is currently offering. if it were not for the discount, i wouldve picked a wrx over a saab 9-2x in a heartbeat.

im just wondering if its now worth it to pay a lil extra for the wrx, since i like it more (i think it looks better).

so i guess im just seein why you guys chose this car, ive never had any experience with saabs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is the exact same car as the WRX, pop the hood and you'll see that it is made by fuji heavy industries. The only difference is in the appearance, the saab in my opinion is much less racer boy and a little more refined looking, plus it is cheaper than a new wrx for the same car. I had been looking into buying a WRX and when i heard about the SAAB deal how could I say no?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Same thing here...
Been thinking of getting a WRX for a year or so (prefer a sedan) But when Saab came out with the rebates (plus I work at a Saab dealer) I got one...
Cheers,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Always wanted a WRX but could never afford/was not willing to spend the money. I actually like the look of the 9-2X a lot better than the WRX. Plus, the 9-2X has the STi steering rack (quicker ratio), re-tuned suspension, and aluminum control arms. Saab has the 4 year/50,000 mile bumper to bumper, two years free scheduled maintenance, free loaner cars, and hopefully better service than Subaru. All for less $.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was in a somewhat different situation. I was torn between breaking the bank and spending mid 30's for a G35 coupe that would be my daily driver for many years to come, or spending 17k for a used WRX to have fun with for the next year or two. Then when the incentives on the 9-2x hit, the little Saabaru managed to bridge the gap between the two. It's as fun to drive as the WRX (I've driven both extensively), and the styling / luxury will satisfy me longer than a year.

And don't discount the longer warranty too quickly. With an extra year, you can sell a 9-2x after owning it for 3 years with one full year still left on warranty. That does wonders for resale value.

Oh, one more thing. The 9-2x uses higher quality paint than the WRX. I've seen 1-2 year old WRX's with all kinds of swirl marks and dulling. That can happen with any paint job, but will be less likely on the 9-2x than the WRX.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
socaldave11 said:
I was in a somewhat different situation. I was torn between breaking the bank and spending mid 30's for a G35 coupe that would be my daily driver for many years to come, or spending 17k for a used WRX to have fun with for the next year or two. Then when the incentives on the 9-2x hit, the little Saabaru managed to bridge the gap between the two. It's as fun to drive as the WRX (I've driven both extensively), and the styling / luxury will satisfy me longer than a year.

And don't discount the longer warranty too quickly. With an extra year, you can sell a 9-2x after owning it for 3 years with one full year still left on warranty. That does wonders for resale value.

Oh, one more thing. The 9-2x uses higher quality paint than the WRX. I've seen 1-2 year old WRX's with all kinds of swirl marks and dulling. That can happen with any paint job, but will be less likely on the 9-2x than the WRX.
to be honest, with you, i wouldve picked the g35 coupe...

so are you guys that wanted a wrx originally satisfied with your final purchase? if you guys couldve had the wrx for the same price, would you guys have picked the wrx?

also, i know theres a big aftermarket for wrx's, hows the mod-ability of the 9-2x

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, it was tough to pass up the G35, but I got my 9-2x Aero manual for $21,000. That's about 15 grand cheaper than a G35, and just about as fast. Now, instead of blowing it all on the G35, I can save for the next few years and pick up a low mileage 2003 M3 :D .

As for the 9-2x modibility, it's exactly the same as the WRX - literally identical. Anything you can do to a WRX, you can do to a 9-2x. Motor Trend just had a feature where they took a 9-2x, modded the heck out of it and smoked STI's with the result.

·
Registered
10 Posts
socaldave11 said:
Yeah, it was tough to pass up the G35, but I got my 9-2x Aero manual for $21,000. That's about 15 grand cheaper than a G35, and just about as fast. Now, instead of blowing it all on the G35, I can save for the next few years and pick up a low mileage 2003 M3 :D .

As for the 9-2x modibility, it's exactly the same as the WRX - literally identical. Anything you can do to a WRX, you can do to a 9-2x. Motor Trend just had a feature where they took a 9-2x, modded the heck out of it and smoked STI's with the result.
Hi Dave, I see you're in SoCal...which dealership did you buy from and what other options do you have? I'm looking for the same in the L.A. area - a manual Aero with the 17's & moonroof.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got mine from Saab of Sherman Oaks. My ideal model would have been an Aero manual with performance and premium packages, but no cold package (seriously, how often will I be de-icing my windshield wipers in LA?) Unfortunately, they only had ONE manual Aero, which had premium and cold, but no performance package. The salesman showed me the port list and at least at the time I bought it (May 29th), there were a grand total of 3 Aero manuals with leather going to the entire western region (I think that's CA, NV, AZ) and none of them also had the performance package (17's and moonroof.) The sunroof is pretty small, and I like the look of the 16's (did everyone know they're Enkei's? Just found that out when I was washing it) so I just went with it.

I'm not sure if more have shipped to the west coast, but I've been hearing that Aero manuals are becoming REALLY hard to come by. My salesman was pretty good. His name is Dick Savage (not making that up.) Give him a call at 818-981-2000 and just tell him what you want and he'll look up the list and see what's available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
socaldave11 said:

this means nothing, but the m3 is my favorite car of all time, i hope to own one one day. you should go check out www.e46fanatics.com and sign up for the forum there, great bunch of guys over there.

could i theoretically mod the car to the exact specs of an sti?

and would the 9-2x be a suitable car to learn how to drive a manual on? ive never driven a stick (although i know how everything works), and this would be the car that i learn on. my other choices that im seriously considering instead of the 9-2x is the nissan xterra, scion tc, mazda rx8, and acura rsx type s

and one more thing: how well is this car selling? would i have to be put on a waiting list or something in about 2 weeks when i go car shopping?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm completely with you on the E46 M3.

As for making a 9-2x to the exact specs of an STI, the answer is yes...and no. The STI uses a turbocharged 2.5L engine and the WRX/9-2x uses a turbocharged 2.0L engine. So in terms of modding a 9-2x engine to be exactly the same as an STI, you couldn't do it. BUT, as the thousands of WRX owners out there will confer, the 2.0L engine is more open to modification than the 2.5. With fairly simple modification (ECU, turbo upgrade, exhaust, etc.) you can make a WRX/9-2x as fast or faster than a stock STI. Keep in mind though, you'll be voiding your warranty with just about every one of these mods.

The 9-2x manual tranny is a fairly simple setup to learn on, but in all honesty, it's not the easiest. The clutch is a little stiff, and the engagement point is rather low. This makes for quicker shifts once you know what you're doing, but you'll probably be stalling a lot while you learn. That said, this shouldn't be a deal breaker for you. You're going to struggle with just about every manual tranny while you learn, but once you get the hang of it, you'll never want to go back.

As for the other cars on your list, I've actually checked out every one of them (minus the Xterra. What's that doing in there? lol) and liked them all a lot. The RX-8 is crazy fun to drive, but the styling isn't for everyone. The Acura is also extremely fun to drive (high redline) but it was just too small for me and the interior is a bit cheesy. The Scion is a great car, and definitely a good value.

Now, regarding the 9-2x versus these cars, it mostly comes down to price. With the incentives and employee pricing for everyone that is out there right now, it's tough to beat. The TC is the only car that will be cheaper, but not even by much. Availability might be an issue with the manual, but just give your local dealer and call and tell them to find one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
socaldave11 said:
I'm completely with you on the E46 M3.

As for making a 9-2x to the exact specs of an STI, the answer is yes...and no. The STI uses a turbocharged 2.5L engine and the WRX/9-2x uses a turbocharged 2.0L engine. So in terms of modding a 9-2x engine to be exactly the same as an STI, you couldn't do it. BUT, as the thousands of WRX owners out there will confer, the 2.0L engine is more open to modification than the 2.5. With fairly simple modification (ECU, turbo upgrade, exhaust, etc.) you can make a WRX/9-2x as fast or faster than a stock STI. Keep in mind though, you'll be voiding your warranty with just about every one of these mods.

The 9-2x manual tranny is a fairly simple setup to learn on, but in all honesty, it's not the easiest. The clutch is a little stiff, and the engagement point is rather low. This makes for quicker shifts once you know what you're doing, but you'll probably be stalling a lot while you learn. That said, this shouldn't be a deal breaker for you. You're going to struggle with just about every manual tranny while you learn, but once you get the hang of it, you'll never want to go back.

As for the other cars on your list, I've actually checked out every one of them (minus the Xterra. What's that doing in there? lol) and liked them all a lot. The RX-8 is crazy fun to drive, but the styling isn't for everyone. The Acura is also extremely fun to drive (high redline) but it was just too small for me and the interior is a bit cheesy. The Scion is a great car, and definitely a good value.

Now, regarding the 9-2x versus these cars, it mostly comes down to price. With the incentives and employee pricing for everyone that is out there right now, it's tough to beat. The TC is the only car that will be cheaper, but not even by much. Availability might be an issue with the manual, but just give your local dealer and call and tell them to find one.
according to the saab website, the aero uses a 2.0L engine, but the linear uses a 2.5L engine. wtf would they do that for?

im considering the xterra coz this is a college car, so its entirely possible that i may need the extra storage. the rx-8 is actually my top choice, and if i can get a good deal on it, im gonna go for it (ive been told that theyre not selling well, and if i take last years model, the 04 instead of an 05, i could get a heft discount).

the rsx, i like about as much as the saab (i think the rsx is better lookin, but the 9-2 is more practical, and if its really like a wrx, im assuming its a better performer than the type s). and lastly, the tc i like because its cheap, but with the discount that gm is offering, im not really considering the tc all that much any more

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hahahaha. The 2.5 in the Linear is not turbocharged, whereas the 2.0L in the Aero is. That's why there's no hood scoop on the Linear - no need!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
socaldave11 said:
Hahahaha. The 2.5 in the Linear is not turbocharged, whereas the 2.0L in the Aero is. That's why there's no hood scoop on the Linear - no need!
wouldnt it have been even better to turbo a 2.5L engine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
SpAcEmAn SpLiFF said:
wouldnt it have been even better to turbo a 2.5L engine?
It would... but the 2.5 in the Linear is not the same as the one in the STI. I have read a lot of reports about people trying to mod the 2.5 in the standard Impreza's (same as the linear) and it has cost large amounts of money. The tranny is weak and the engine internals need to be replaced if you plan on bringing it up to STI power levels. Some have spent in excess of $10,000 just to make it reliable with mods.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just like everyone else, I was also looking at the WRX wagons but I found out about the 9-2x and I couldn't pass it up. It's the same car with a better look. Good Luck.

Rudi

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've wanted a WRX wagon since they were introduced in the US

(true story, I won a TV during the Subaru competition they had here in the US. They set up playstations in bars and had people race the WRX. Fastest time of the night won a TV. They held about 4 competitions per region. The top finisher from each region went down to Georgia to race for an actual WRX. I was second in my region by about .07 seconds. One of my home practice times was better, but I just couldn't reproduce it on the worn out controller at the bar.)

Anyway, I am pretty debt averse so I never took the leap to buy a new one, and I really didn't want to buy a used one, since, let's face it, a lot of WRX racer boyz weren't exactly kind to their rides.

When the incentives came along, and my 9-2X (with Leather!) was cheaper than a used 2004 WRX, I had to bite.

If they were the same price, I would prefer the 9-2x. Less attention from cops, maybe lower insurance eventually, and the available options are better (leather, 17" wheels & moonroof). The ride is supposedly better, I can't compare to a WRX, but it is certainly better than my friend's RS wagon. Not to mention, even if they were the same price, the Saab warranty and free maintenance would make it a better value, and I anticipate the resale value will be higher as well. The fact that it's several thousand cheaper seals the deal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guy1138 said:
I've wanted a WRX wagon since they were introduced in the US

(true story, I won a TV during the Subaru competition they had here in the US. They set up playstations in bars and had people race the WRX. Fastest time of the night won a TV. They held about 4 competitions per region. The top finisher from each region went down to Georgia to race for an actual WRX. I was second in my region by about .07 seconds. One of my home practice times was better, but I just couldn't reproduce it on the worn out controller at the bar.)

Anyway, I am pretty debt averse so I never took the leap to buy a new one, and I really didn't want to buy a used one, since, let's face it, a lot of WRX racer boyz weren't exactly kind to their rides.

When the incentives came along, and my 9-2X (with Leather!) was cheaper than a used 2004 WRX, I had to bite.

If they were the same price, I would prefer the 9-2x. Less attention from cops, maybe lower insurance eventually, and the available options are better (leather, 17" wheels & moonroof). The ride is supposedly better, I can't compare to a WRX, but it is certainly better than my friend's RS wagon. Not to mention, even if they were the same price, the Saab warranty and free maintenance would make it a better value, and I anticipate the resale value will be higher as well. The fact that it's several thousand cheaper seals the deal.
am i the only one thats kinda mad about this car only being offered in wagon form? i dont really like wagons very much...

·
Registered
248 Posts
92x NOT the same as a WRX. Subtly upgraded, plus it lacks the 'boy racer' look.

Let the reposting begin - thanks Grimace!

Saab unique front exterior styling

new aluminum hood with redesigned hood scoop on Aero
new front fenders
new front grille and bumper cover
new headlamps, marker lights and projector driving lights

Saab unique side and rear exterior styling
new tailgate and rear bumper cover
new rear roof spoiler
new rear taillamps
17" alloy wheels standard (in Canada) on Aero
Saab specific Bridgestone tires

Saab unique Chassis
Steering: improved on-center feel/feedback as well as better response & linearity

*** STI steering rack *** !!!

Handling: improved overall stability, particularly emergency handling fully laden
Ride: revised shock tuning for a more controlled ride. Less low speed rebound & compression
new dampers
new suspension bushings - stiffer anti-roll bar bushings
100% stiffening of the front sub-frame where the steering rack mounts
unique lower steering gear ratio of 15:1 vs. previous 16.5:1
aluminum rear suspension forward lateral link
10mm shorter rear bump stops

Saab unique interior materials
upgraded carpeting
two-tone cloth seat materials
availability of leather interior
instrument cluster with metallic trim rings around the gauges
upgraded door panel materials
metallic centre stack dash fascia

Saab unique insulation kit
dramatically reduces noise, vibration and harshness
heavier toe-board insulation and addition of fender insulation
rear quarter trim sealing, tailgate sealing
acoustic treatment on roof trim
insulation under the shift boot
new rear engine mount

Saab unique active head restraints for the front seats

Security System (n/a Impreza models)
Block Heater (n/a Impreza models)

Leather interior optional on Linear & Aero (n/a Impreza models)
Sunroof optional on Linear (n/a on Impreza Outback Sport)
6 Disc In-dash CD Changer optional on Linear (n/a on Impreza Outback Sport)

Heated Front Seats & Outer Mirrors optional on Linear (standard on Impreza Outback Sport)

Warranty: 48 month/ 80,000 km (Impreza models 36 month/60,000 km)

'Nuff said. Buy which ever one you like. Saab's cheaper? It's a no brainer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts