SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Nice day outside. 50F+.

Bought some black vinyl, upholstery glue, and padding material. Half off! Got it all for $15.

My door panel inserts were falling apart.

Installed a cupholder last night. The angle makes it impossible to fit a "small" drink. :(

Removed the twenty year-old fabric.

Attached the padding with E6000 glue.

Doggy didn't care for the upholstery glue smell.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Also used 3M outdoor mounting tape and a Boston Swingline stapler to attach the vinyl.

Finished product. I had to cut a slit for the door latch and handle.

Done!

Looks better than before but needs refinement. I need to tuck in the edges and pull the vinyl tighter.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Good start. I would either remove the padding all together or use something thinner if it were me. I redid the cards in mine last summer, I didn't use any padding and they look great.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The DIN drinks holder needs to be mounted below the DIN in the centre console, have a look in my project thread (about page 10) you will see where and at what angle it needs to be mounted. Later on in the thread you will find 2 different ways of tackling the door cards, each with tidy results. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
well ... you really need to revisit those door cards. Believe me, you can do it better. Nice start tho`.
An in fact, I find it better idea to simply remove original cloth, put it through the washing macine and put it back using some backing foam. Looks nice, clean and is stock.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
IronJoe-I saw your 900 is Eurotuner! just wanted to say thats awesome. ha. and i love your car. haha.
Thanks!

Jag - they are aftermarket. Corbeau GTS II. It's all in my project thread if you want more info.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well ... you really need to revisit those door cards. Believe me, you can do it better. Nice start tho`.
An in fact, I find it better idea to simply remove original cloth, put it through the washing macine and put it back using some backing foam. Looks nice, clean and is stock.
I'm not a huge fan of the stock velour in gray. Reminds me of a 1980s Buick. Would be sharp in black though.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I did my door cards a few months ago using automotive grade black vinyl.
It looks nice with the tan leather interior and stays nice and clean. I also bought some black cup holders on eBay. They are square and screw into the cards. Unique because they fold out when in use and back up against the cards when not....barely noticable. Best part is they have a jaw ans will adjust to large cups. I had one of those factory units and they really suck. Mine was mounted in the upper slot.

When installling the door cards make a template and leave a few inches all around, then glue the entire back to the orginal card. After it dries cut the excess away and make small radial cuts on all of the corners [inside and out]. Wrap and glue them in place. Clamping or a heavy object works to get everything to stay tight. Looks factory when done. I used the same material and method on the rear decking [3 door].

I will post some pictures shortly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did mine a little differently. I used thinner batting, and glued it down on the card with headliner adhesive. Once the batting was stuck down, I sprayed it too with adhesive, letting it dry before applying the fabric so that the batting would crush down less. This made it easy to then flip over and trim the excess, before gluing the edge to the back with contact cement. Seems to be holding up just fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts