SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all of the threads here seem to speak about the basslink, but i decided to take a chance and get the slightliy more powerful basslink II (2).

so far i can attest that it definately hits pretty hard for hiphop songs, but it's hard to fine tune it. i'm still playing with it. naturally having a factory head unit, it makes it harder to really fine tune the sound, but thankfully the basslink 2 has a nice set of dials on the actual unit.

has anyone played with their original basslink and managed a good blend of power for diff kinds of music? i find i have to lower the gain/bass boost for rock songs to get tight bass, then go back and raise them both to get the hard hitting bass for hip hop songs/dance.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I find a remote bass level control handy. I see the BL II comes with one. I mounted mine above the clutch pedal area in such a way I can easily remove it without visible alterations.

Comes in handy when the bass is rolled off in the source mix. This is not as common as in the past. And like Will says, sometimes you just want more bass for the style of music.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know.. i was wondering where the f the remote control was.. i checked the box thinking i left it at home. the guy who installed it for me fitted it nicely by the hood release, just within reach of my hand. i didn't even see the damn thing until today.

i agree.. that helps a lot. i keep my gain/boost at about 75% now, because i can control how loud it is in the car now. the only thing i don't understand is the crossover, it goes from 50 to i think 150 .. what's the difference? i keep it in the middle for now.

·
Registered
615 Posts
wtfwill said:
the only thing i don't understand is the crossover, it goes from 50 to i think 150 .. what's the difference? i keep it in the middle for now.
That's the frequcy cutoff range. You could have your sub reproduce bass up to 150Hz, or choose to cut it off at 149Hz, 148Hz, ... , 51Hz, or 50Hz. Some subs don't do a great job of reproducing the higher range, and that's why crossovers are used. But in your case, its probably just a matter of preference.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
The crossover points for a subwoofer typically block any frequencies higher than the setting. So if you set it at 100 Hz, the subwoofer will get 0-100 and then everything higher will be "filtered out." Analog crossover networks actually have a slope which determines how "steep" the cut-off is. Probably a little of the 100-120 range gets through, but by 150 Hz not much at all.

None of this makes sense if you don't understand frequency, amplitude, etc. and what they mean in the context of audible sound. Just sticking with bass frequencies, you can consider sub-bass 20-90 Hz and mid-bass 90-250 Hz or thereabouts. A big speaker like 10-15" is best for sub-bass while a 6-8" speaker is best for mid-bass. This is why we bother with crossovers, to send the right frequencies to the speakers built to handle them. Sending deep bass sounds to a small 1" tweeter can cause both distortion and outright speaker damage.

Assuming you started with 7 speakers and used AMP1 to get bass, your Basslink has a source feed of about 20-250 Hz. I would set the Basslink crossover at 90 or 100.

One of the problem with Saab's 7 speaker systems is they send all that sub-bass to a 6.5" door speaker. 20-90 Hz is too low for a speaker that size and will just produce distorted sound. In the 300W system Saab limits that speaker to 100-250 Hz and dumps all the sub-bass to AMP2 and the 6x9's. Much better thinking, though still not well executed given what they charge.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
If you ran the Basslink off the 6x9 feeds (AMP2) then you basically have a 20-90 Hz signal and nothing higher.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts