SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to weld around the chassis-wishbone mounting. Apart from the alternator, what else should be disconnected before welding.

I certainly intend to remove the cd autochanger from the boot before starting.

Many thanks

Steve

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I always disconect the ground/earth from the battery before welding anything on my cars, so far so good. removing audio equipment seems rather extreme to me. Always have the welding kits earth as close to the work you are doing as possible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am only thinking of this as I have no idea what protection is included in modern car electronic equipment, and I know how allergic to transients a lot of modern electronic equipment is.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Disconnect the battery earth lead and make sure the welder's earth clamp is as close to the area being welded as possible - this is all you need to do to be certain. I've welded on cars before where I've forgotten to disconnect the earth and suffered no ill effects but it only takes a minute to take the earth off and be 100% certain. Taking the CD changer etc out is overkill, unless it's in the way or there's a chance of it getting splattered or affected by grinding dust

I've done more damage to electrical systems when welding by forgetting to shift wiring away from behind the seam...

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Jokke A said:
I disconnected the battery and engine management before welding my 900T8 and old c900 Aero
That's what SAAB recommends, disconnect the negative battery cable and the Fuel injection ECU.
I've welded many without disconnecting anything, but it's not recommended.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Breakin5speeds said:
I've disconnected nothing and not had any problems
I used to disconnect nothing until my mate managed to melt the wiring loom of his car whilst MIG welding after it earthed through it.
Now i disconnect both sides of my battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts