SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the head pulled off a '93 900T 16V, and thought I'd take the opportunity to replace the sealing plugs in the engine block and head.

Anyone know what size they are exactly, as I don't particularly want to part with AUD$22 per plug that Saab Australia have quoted me! :eek: If I know the size, there's a fair chance I can find some cheaper replacements.

Cheers!

Drew

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Drew ,

I cant recall the exact size , bigger in block than head , but you are on the right track . Take them with you to a decent repco , I also have a vague recollection that there is a size stamped in the head ones , They were readily available at about $ 2 bucks a pop , sorry cant be exact , BUT you have to get them out , and you wont be left stranded , good auto shop will have , no drama :D
OR if you are cheeky enough .. walk into the saab spare parts delearship , VERNIER in hand .. smile and say thanks , change me mind ... :roll:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All sorted! :D

Block plugs are 1.5/8", head are 28mm. Fitted without a problem!

Drew

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
grif900 said:
why would one opt to change a freeze plug that did not leak?
ive been trying to find a picture of the ones out of my 99 but i cant find it :(. I replaced them after one started seeping when i took the enging out.

They looked shiney on the outside but the inside was incredibly rusty!. Since they cost a few pence to replace they are worth doing if you ever have cause to get at them.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
i must have been very lucky so far.14 old saabs and never had a leaky plug.properties of local water perhaps?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Grif, sorry to disappoint by "prematurely" replacing 14 year old steel plugs, but one was actually seeping water down over the block! :confused:

Nothing to do with time on my hands, just enough common sense to replace a $1 part in 10 seconds while I had the opportunity, and while there was easy access with the manifold pulled off.

What do you reckon I should have done? :roll:

Drew

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use distilled water when replacing the coolant mix in my Ford diesel pick-up. Block is prone to cavitation and the demineralized water along with an anti-cavitation additive helps.

Using really clean (distilled) water in our Saabs along with the right coolant should help to keep coolant passage scaling from minerals in the coolant precipitating out to a minimum I would think--that and appropriate coolant changes and flushing.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Heh, I was referring to the comedy of sitting over your coolant resevoir with a brita stuffed in it and slowly pouring water in it bit by bit, but I guess it wasn't too funny :confused:

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Well done Drew ,

I was thinking the head was 28 , but couldnt be sure .. ( memory )

Personally I would think it crazy not to replace ( with brass ) if they were still the original steel .

Very cheap preventative ..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts