SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered up some performance polyflex wishbone polyeurothane inserts for the rear of my front control arms of my 9k aero. They were out of stock and I ordered a set from eeuro and now something weird is going on.

About every two days my car gets a lurching feeling under hard braking and when I get home and check the suspension out, the passenger side poly wish-bone set-up end bolt will be loose on that side only. I tighten it up as much as I can and two days later, the nut is loose again. I beat it down with my hammer, two days later, its loose again. I put lock-tight and use my foot to push the wrench and get it as tight as I dare and this time, 3 days later, its loose again.

Anyone seen this or heard of it? I am wondering if there is something wrong with my control arm or if its the cheaper eeruo poly bushings?

I have the new polyflex at home now and wonder if this is my issue and if I need to swap them out again.

John

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Don't know about control arm bushings, but I had black eeuro upper motor mounts in for 400 miles before my Aero destroyed them completely. Super or Power flex stuff seems much better quality.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had heard that, but I pulled them off and they seemed ok, but its almost like the passenger side will not compress all the way, there is a slight gap between the poly eurothane insert and the metal control arm. The drivers side sucks right up with no gap. I think its probably related to the problem. I cannot get the right side to stay tight and compressed.

Within 2-3 days the nut is lose every time and I start to feel it in the braking.

John

·
Registered
153 Posts
You are tightening with the car on the ground I assume and not on jack stands?
Is the nut you are using the type with the nylon inserts? I use the same bush and have no problems yet.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is the stock nut with a nylon bushing and like I said the drivers side has not given me any issues at all, but the passenger side will not stay tight. I have tried tightening it on stands and on the ground, but its so low its hard to get it really tight on the ground, my wrench hits the ground.

John

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have the black poly conrol arm bushings on my car and haven't had any similar problems since they were installed five months ago, just FYI.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one side is still fine after about the same amount of time, I was wondering if it was a bushing related issue or a control arm related issue. I will have to pull the contoll arm back off on that side and replace it with the polyflex bushings and see if the problem goes away... It is bugging me that it losens up every 3 days or so... I am going to try loctite and some real muscle with my legs one last time and see what happens...

John

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
john, if I can remember you have the stud & the bush centre metal bushing
if the nut faces off on the centre bushing rather than the stud end face then as the wishbone moves it will back off the nut,
try filing the centre bush so the nut faces off on the stud

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
John the nut must be facing off on the centre bushing rather than the stud
i.e. as the bush turns it backs off the nut
try filing down the bush

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not sure what you are talking about with the nut facing off center? I do have the threaded stud with a metal sleave that goes over it, the bushings go on the metal sleave and then there is a big washer on the back-side that compresses it all together with the nut. ?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
i,m travelling at present so can,t get to my car to eye ball this to confirm, but if I can remember
when you make up the nut against the washer - the washer should shoulder on the stud where the thread ends so the nut / washer / stud is free to act as one piece - effectively the inside part of a bearing

The outside part of the "bearing" is the bushing c/w centre metal bushing with the half clamp fixed to the chassis

if the centre metal bushing is longer than the stud then the washer clamps up onto the bushing effectively locking the "bearing" so when the wishbone moves it "unlocks" the bearing i.e. backs off your nut

so you need to reduce the length of the centre bushing in relationship to the stud length

John i,m maybe not 100% on this with the detail, but the end result is the effect your seeing

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe that is it, the inner metal sleave is too long. I have a new metal sleave with my new poly-flex bushings... Maybe I will swap them out for giggles and check the sleave length. I was going to wait until I broke or damaged the euro ones, but might just swap em out now... Thanks,

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts