SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, on the scale of critical issues, this ranks fairly low, but I've managed to get everything in order except for this one thing...my passenger-side headlight wiper is acting hokey. About half the time when I do a wash cycle, the pass. side headlight wiper will not park, but will stay in the up position. Then, when I start the car again, my windshield wipers will cycle once (!), and the headlight wiper will then park properly. Other times, this doesn't happen at all, and the process goes normally. I already replaced the headlight wiper motor once about six months ago (I really enjoy using them!) but I'm thinking maybe something else could be wrong, before I spring for another new motor. Thank you for any thoughts.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I've got the same problem at the moment, and no solution. Today I took the wiper arm off, lubricated the shaft with WD40 and put it all back together. It is now even worse, as the wiper does not move at all. This is somehow typical. :) Was it a new wiper motor you put in before or a second hand one? They do get gummed up over the years and start acting funny. There's a procedure on how to service the motor here - it's for a 9000 but it should be quite similar when you get the motor apart. Otherwise just get another from a scrapyard and try that.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've just fixed this problem on mine - turned out the self park wire on the O/S wiper connector (red wire I think) had corroded. (in my case I bodged with a bit of wire and scotchblocks...problem solved! )

·
Banned
1,702 Posts
I had the same problem on my C900 convertible, my 9000 and my current 900! In fact every Saab I have owned with headlight wipers! They have a mind of their own when they go wrong, on my 9000 one would slowly return to the parked position each time you started the car!

Simple solution - disconnect them! :cheesy:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies! I had replaced the motor with a used one from ebay (after I had read that article about the 9000 motor rebuild over and over, yikes : ), the used motor worked just fine all through the winter salt. I'll check for wire corrosion, I didn't know there was a dedicated self-park wire.
regards,
steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts