SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my turn signal on and then begin to turn the steering wheel to make the turn, it now makes a little creaking/clicking noise (in addition to the normal clicking caused by the signal cancellation mechanism) that it didn't when I first got it. Only mildly annoying... anybody else had this? Is it a real problem? Only does it when signal is engaged.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was getting this when it was cold out. But it was independant of the turn signal... The dealer was never able to duplicate, and it has gone away since it is warmer out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yea mine got real bad, and i asked the dealer to change it and they said it was normal. Then I told him it was making a loud crack every now and then. (You can duplicate the sound by holding the turn single lever up and turn steering wheel left and right) CRACK CRACK.. After awhile i was getting steering wheel unlock errors when I started the car. I took it in and had that a clock spring replaced. Loud snap or crack settled down to just a minor click, I can deal with that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Clock Spring" is an auto industry slang term for the coil wire that makes contact between the steering wheel (horn, radio buttons, airbag, etc.) and the wiring in the column and out to the rest of the car. It rotates when you turn the wheel and allows all the electricals to stay connected. Hmmm... maybe some doofy Swede is installing them incorrectly sometimes. :lol: You have to put them in just right or they don't work correctly and will tear themselves apart.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the same problem.... mine makes a loud "crack" noise sometimes when the turn signal is on :eek: and sometimes it just makes "squeeking" noices when turning slightly :cry:

The crack noise was scary but hasn't happened in a while... the squeeking is annoying but isn't worth a trip to the dealer.....yet anyway. Good luck though ;)

·
Super Moderator
20,247 Posts
I have a click when I turn it a few degrees to one side (can't remember if it was R or L) totally independent of the turn signal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the same 'creaking' problem on my 05-Linear, when the turning signal is engaged. Usually don't notice it when the radio's on, but when the car is silent, it's very annoying.

·
Registered
297 Posts
LOL, dont you love the character this car has. Only a saab can have such quirkiness as large sounding cracks with turn signals. i get them too from time to time but i just ignore it and point it out as "my car has character"

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, so long as you've had yours for 2+ years now and nothing has broken, I can deal with just a bit of noise.:cheesy: I guess I'll only worry if mine starts doing the really bad stuff Geeves described.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It's not related to the signal, but since a few days there is a noise from the steering wheel... The sound is some sort of short "squeak/clak" when I apply pressure in either direction, especially to the left. It's not very loud, so sometimes I'm not "tuned into it", but when I hear it my blood pressure starts rising...
But what the heck is it?? :(

·
Registered
650 Posts
for what its worth the clock spring is integrated into the CIM (its the black plastic module that your stalks plug into) and isn't replaced sperately. the reason for having a clock spring and not a pick up coil is becuase of the airbag, you must have a specific constant resistance to the airbag, and that is not possible without the clock spring.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I guess this is an old topic but I also get a noise sometimes when I turn. I've found that if you turn the wheel hard over, the squeak will go away.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts