SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the drive-thru last night for about 5 minutes getting food. As I pulled away I heard a chime, looked down and saw the red triangle with an exclamation point. Noticed that the Temp had just hit the bottom of the red.

So I turned on the heat full blast, and started moving and it cooled down. Once I was on the road I turned the heat off...and then the temp started going back up. So I turned the heat on and left it on and the temperature was normal the rest of the way home.

My first thought was the fan, but it was running the whole time. So....now I'm thinking that since running the heat was cooling it down, maybe it's a stuck thermostat?

What's everybody elses thoughts on that? (and if it's the thermostat, anybody have a guide to replacing one?)

Thanks,
Rich

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Yeah, I'd bet on the thermostat too. And replacing it is a minor risk, since it's so cheap. It also gives you an opportunity to change your coolant, which can't hurt.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
How many miles and age of the t-stat ?

Maybe I have been lucky, I change them when the car either over or under heats a little - and one, I think, is doing that now.
These thermostats are good for so many miles - that's it..
The right thing was done by using the heater - hellish now, but necessary !

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I just change them now whenever I replace the coolant. Leaving it out while rinsing out the system with clear water makes the fluid change easier, and I get some peace of mind. It isn't too hard to replace, and I think they're only twelve bucks or so. Maybe it's wasteful, but I can afford twelve bucks every few years. :D (especially now when fillups cost forty bucks).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, both of you.

The car is a '99 9-3 vert with 87k miles on it. Pretty good bit of miles for that thermostat and it certainly can't hurt to replace it. :)

And you're right, a flush certainly couldn't hurt either.

Again, thank you both

--Rich

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had almost the same thing happen. Look a few posts down and you can see all the options and advice if you want to. :D

Good luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts