SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so less than 2 weeks ago i bought a 1996 900SE (5 speed)(117,700 miles). I went out today to go for a drive so i started up the car and let it run for a few minutes to warm up. Everything seemed fine.

I drove about 15 miles, and decided to turn around. I was sitting on a hill (facing down) waiting to turn onto the road. I heard the car revving and looked at the rpms, they were jumping from around 1.5 to 2 constantly. I thought maybe it was because i was on a hill or something. So i started home and the rpms were normal as i was driving.

The only thing that seemed different when i was driving was when i let off the accelerator a second later there was a small shutter, (I noticed this before the weird rpms). I got home put the car in neutral (on a mostly flat surface) and let the car idle for a minute. As soon as i put it in neutral the rpms started jumping again and it sounded like the car was reving by itself.

BTW. the car is stock (sorry for the long post). any ideas on the problem(s)?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
What interests me is this, the PO probably had the same problem and just traded in it - as a guess.
Aaaahhh , the joy and pleasures of high mileage used Saab ownership..
And , if a Saab dealer car(not likely) sold this, they may have encountered this "problem", but knew not how to fix it... http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/iac/page1.html
The link, courtesy of M Briand..
Then, if this is not it, we will have to go thru the service and diagnostic routine..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that link seems very helpful. Unfortanetly i won't be able to try this until tomorrow(its dark :)). Few questions in the mean time. Do i need that carbeurator cleaner? If so, where can i get some? Also, what type of oil should i use? thanks again.

EDIT: does this pose any immediate threats, damage? Is it safe to continue driving?

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think I know what you are talking about...a month or two ago when I turned my car on it started revving itself to about 2500 rpms every second or so. It only stopped when I revved the engine myself to about 3-4k. This was back when I had a hole in my fuel filler neck, so I was getting a lean fuel mixture. Don't know if that had anything to do with it, but my guess is the engine wasn't receiving enough gas, and was keeping from stalling. I would not be worried about any safety hazards, however.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I think even "drip free" oil would work. I have yet to clean mine, I may use some CRC brake clean .
Carburetor cleaner is very common,(Sears,AutoZone, PepBoys,Ace Hardware in Manchester, ServiceStar in Etters,WalMart, Gorden's of Yokumtown,PA, the little NAPA store in Newberrytown, even K-Mart...I may have more of this stuff than Bkrell:cheesy:

http://pages.infinit.net/mlbriand/saab/iac/page4.html

Maybe this link is a bit better..

·
Registered
349 Posts
KSpark said:
I think I know what you are talking about...a month or two ago when I turned my car on it started revving itself to about 2500 rpms every second or so. It only stopped when I revved the engine myself to about 3-4k. This was back when I had a hole in my fuel filler neck, so I was getting a lean fuel mixture. Don't know if that had anything to do with it, but my guess is the engine wasn't receiving enough gas, and was keeping from stalling. I would not be worried about any safety hazards, however.
I am having the same problem. Sometimes i get that really high surging of the idle. I took it to the indy no dice. AIC checked out good for me and I even swapped out a known good one. My car likes to idle a little above 1k. I am thinking TPS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.