SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 900i S on a 92 plate (K Reg). Here is the problem:

in the morning when I try and start it - it cranks but wont start

I then have to push hard on the accelerator - and she starts....often coughing and spluttering (thats the car NOT me).

It does the same during the day if she has been parked up.

sometimes when I use the gas to start it - it doesnt always start and I can smell petrol.

This has all come about mysteriously as she was running without issues through winter.

A clever (dick) friend of mine suggested it was the cold start valve..........help !!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
......does "S" mean turbo?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Have you done anything recently like spray cleaned the outside of the engine? It could be a problem with corrosion in your electrical connectors to the AMM or TPS. Could also be a bad TPS.

Could be a myriad of other problems as well - dirty IAC, faulty coolant temp sensor (the one just below the fuel rail).

I'm sure I haven't thought of every possibility . . .

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Starting with flooring the throttle suggests that it might be flooded. Seem to remember reading somewhere that flooring the throttle at startup disables the injectors. Could have leaky injectors dripping fuel when parked. Could have your injectors cleaned. Follow this link; http://www.injectorcleaning.co.uk/post.htm

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Could also be a dodgy O2 sensor, or AMM. Is the air path from the filter box to the intake manifold unbroken? Are any of the vaccum hose from the intake manifold disconnected or broken? Have you checked the electrical connections to the AIC, AMM and the coolant temp sensor?

Craig.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the suggestions. can someone tell me

where the O 2 sensor is located?

where is the AIC ? what does AIC stand for ?

where the coolant temp sensor is?

what is the TPS and IAC ? what do they stand for?

sorry for the dumb novice questions.....

·
Registered
151 Posts
AIC - Air Idle Control - acts as an air intake valve that modulates to keep the idle at the correct rpm. Should be cylindrical with two hoses going to it one of which goes to the intake manifold behind the throttle plate the other somewhere on the air intake. May be different on foreign models, I am not familiar.

O2 sensor - Measures oxygen levels in the exhaust should be located on an exhaust pipe somewhere before the catalytic converter if you car is equipped with one.

Coolant Temp Sensor - Is located on the head near the fitting where the radiator hose connects

TPS - Throttle Position sensor, located on the throttle body

IAC and AIC are interchangeable

You need to buy a http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAAB-Classic-...es_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item335cb114b1service manual for your year and type of SAAB, otherwise you'll stay very lost.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can anyone tell me if I have a cold start valve or cold start sensor ?
if so where are the located?
i have 16v s (non-turbo) 1992

thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
pics of engine

cleaned the AIC today, also butterfly flap, but......still no change.......still got weird idle.

the AMM looks like it has already been changed.....how do i know if its the correct one they have fitted......? (it is a bosch).

how much is an O2 sensor and is it best to buy original or copy part ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
if the car starts and runs fine even with cold ambient temperatures then you might as well just leave it disconnected, if you live in the snow or icy parts of the world it may be hard to start, in that case fit a new injector.
it never gets to freezing cold here in australia so every saab i get that has one gets the injector disconnected, its not needed here.

EDIT: it never gets freezing cold in my area of australia.....

·
Registered
475 Posts
Some have reported these kinds of issues when the coolant temperature sensor fails (if you have one). On my 93 900S, it's located between two fuel injectors and has a blue plastic electrical connector on it. If the sensor fails open, the ECU thinks the engine is at -60 and dumps a bunch of extra fuel in at startup. I replaced mine not to long ago and it's an easy, inexpensive replacement. Just remove a little coolant from the radiator so you don't get a big spill when you pull the sensor.

Note this isn't the one that drives the temp gauge, it's only used by the ECU.

UPDATE: After looking at your photos, I think I see the wiring for the sensor in photo 4 just above the bolt head on the spark plug cover. The bolt head is just to the right and slightly above the word "SAAB" in the photo. The wiring and connector for the sensor appear to be just above the bolt head.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
anyone know where i can pick up a coolant temperature sensor in the UK?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
anyone know where i can pick up a coolant temperature sensor in the UK?
Two Stroke to Turbo near Royston or Neo in Waltham Cross are both near you, and should be able to sort you a used one. Alternatively, a new one should be available through any of the usual suspects (PfS, the other lot who sell bits for satellite donkeys, or your friendly local dealer). It's very likely a Bosch standard part, so probably just taking it to any friendly local Bosch parts place may well get you sorted.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts