SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks.

Few months back I finally fixed the Throttle Position Sensor on my 95 900 SE V6 vert. I drove it for a couple months no problem. I put my wife back in it, and literally first day....problems.

I saw this first hand upon returning home. When trying to start the car, all the gauges went NUTS. Seems every light and needle was flashing and bouncing, and the car would not start. This happened 3 or 4 attempts in a row to start.

Then my wife mentioned that when she came out from the store earlier, the radio was ON even though the car wasnt running/keys werent in it.

So I got in the car, no keys, hit the radio button and it came on. This doesnt seem right at all. After a few minute wait, The car did restart, and run normally.

Upon starting, It claims the system check is OK, and the only warning I get is a brakelight failure, which I have since fixed. I doubt that had anything to do with the crazy dash/no start, would it?

I sent her in my car until this can be worked out, as I dont want her to get stranded for some reason.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Midas Wellby said:
So I got in the car, no keys, hit the radio button and it came on. This doesnt seem right at all.
It's a feature. It can be convenient if you want to listen to the radio without the running lights and other accessories.

Not related to the other problems. An intermittent ground someplace would explain the rest.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PMI: Thanks. I was wondering if that was a 'feature' or a glitch. Ive had the car since 2003 and didnt know it had that feature ;oops:

hkayssi: The only other glitch I noticed was last week in a parking lot, going about 15 MPH, The exclamation point came on on the dash and the ABS light came on. OTher than that, No hazards and the car is too old for onstar. Ill check out your link, though, thank you.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Midas Wellby said:
....The exclamation point came on on the dash and the ABS light came on. OTher than that, No hazards and the car is too old for onstar. Ill check out your link, though, thank you.
that often happens when one of the wheel speed sensors gets dirty, looses a connection, or something like that. It may go away by itself. I had it happen intermittently after I serviced and cleaned the brakes for a day or so.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
This could be the most basic of things ( the battery/cables, alternator system).

Have these items ever been fully serviced ?

The normal radio consumes little "juice", the ICE allows up to ,I believe, 1 hour of time without running the alternator.. If this causes the battery to be run down (a no-start condition); then the battery has failed its "load test"..
Recharge and retest..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, The cables have not been serviced since I have had it. Im assuming its all original. I cleaned and tightened the cables, no luck.

I have noticed the dash lights go wacky when it wont start (flashing, strobing almost....needles bounce), but when the instruments are normal....vroom.

Its very intermittent. # or 4 tries with no luck, then no problem. Very odd. Not sure if the cold has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You may want to have the Electrical side of the ignition switch checked. I had a similar problem.. Ignition switch was the culprit.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
kcastagno said:
You may want to have the Electrical side of the ignition switch checked. I had a similar problem.. Ignition switch was the culprit.
This is a definite possibility.
Assure that the cheaper service items are good..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
/\ Thanks guys. My initial thought on this was ignition, and it seems to be something I better check in to. Since it is not my daily driver, and usually sits for the winter, It may be awhile before I get to it. But when I do, I will post a reply here (as I usually do) following up on the situation.

BTW....It is now clearly evident if the car will/will not start. Just turning the key to 'on' lights up the dash, and you can tell by the dash lights if it will start: If alot of lights are on, but they are rather dim, the car wont start. If only the typical lights come on,and they are bold and bright...It will start.

Anywho, Ill be sure to follow up on this, even if it ends up being next spring.

Justin

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There is a method of checking out these things via the use of the Haynes manual and a multimeter..

Recently another man discovered that he had 12v into the ignition switch and 9v out....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts