SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an 03 9-5 Linear at a good deal for my first Saab. Picked it up with faded badges and the factory lips unpainted.

Installed some Lamin-X fog light covers and replaced the badges. Also, I ordered some factory matching aerosol spray paint and went to town. The quality of the paint was very on point and I was able to paint everything with one can. Its not perfect by any means, but I'm very happy with the way it came out.

Picked up some Aero 17'inch wheels locally, but will probably wait until after winter to install those. ;ol;

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I was sleeping throughout the night, this alarm kept going off and I kept thinking to myself, who's alarm is this. So annoying, turns out it was my own. Did some research and took out the OEM alarm module. Fairly easy with the amount of information I was able to find. Decided not to run the alarm for now, as I'm not too worried about someone stealing this car.

I also, made a DIY intake. Taking the OEM box out was a pain. I used a 4 inch pipe mounted to an AEM dry filter. A little worried about not having a splash guard or any kind of guard. Was thinking about ordering the mesh shield that they sell to fit over the filter for now until I figure out how to make a more durable one.

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
To each their own but that open air intake fits best in the garbage. The stock airbox can handle 500 HP so you get zero gains from the install. These open air systems will get soaked if you drive it in the rain and have a tendency to kill MAF sensors. I had a GS K&N setup on my 06, killed two MAF sensors before I finally wised up and got rid of it. To each their own, and not everyone kills the MAF, but IMO you are far better off with the stock air box until you start getting into the 500 HP range.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To each their own but that open air intake fits best in the garbage. The stock airbox can handle 500 HP so you get zero gains from the install. These open air systems will get soaked if you drive it in the rain and have a tendency to kill MAF sensors. I had a GS K&N setup on my 06, killed two MAF sensors before I finally wised up and got rid of it. To each their own, and not everyone kills the MAF, but IMO you are far better off with the stock air box until you start getting into the 500 HP range.
Thanks for your input. I'm def keeping the OEM box as a backup. The previous owner broke the tabs and it was only glued onto the mounting points. Probably going to get a piece of ABS plastic and cut to make some kind of shield or guard and perhaps add that mesh over the filter just in case. ;ol;

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my car developed the infamous "hoot" noise. From the research I did, I narrowed it down to needing new vacuum hoses or new diverter valve. I ended replacing the factory plastic diverter vavle with an aftermarket aluminum one. Noise is gone now. :D It was a simple enough DIY if not for the hose clamps being pointed to the ground instead of towards me, that was a pain. Unfortunately the new hoses, didn't get here at the right time so I guess that will be the next weekend project.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a local set of Aero seats and the seller was kind enough to help me install. The passenger side was plug and play, but the driver's side was tricky as my seats did not come with memory seats and he had to swap the motors onto the new seat with nowhere to mount the memory seat buttons module. Left it out for now, until I figure out where to mount it. Seats are awesome though! Actually have some support now as opposed to sliding all over the place. So much better than the original Linear ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Take side panel from another seat, which has opening for memory buttons.
You can order new panel. Panel P/N: 5313903 (light beige); 5313911 (grey) or 12761173 (black)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've run an open air intake down in the fender well like you are for over a year now. No issues in pouring rain, snow, or anything.

You won't see any power gains, but you get fun diverter valve noises ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take side panel from another seat, which has opening for memory buttons.
You can order new panel. Panel P/N: 5313903 (light beige); 5313911 (grey) or 12761173 (black)
Thanks for the info.

Also, good to know on the intake. I'm still debating on running that mesh guard for it since I'm having trouble with my DIY shield for it.

I changed up the original vacuum hoses with silicone ones. Last week when I intially did the hoses I accidentally broke my brake booster hose so had to order and wait for a replacement one. There's still this one hose I can't reach. The one where it splits into a T and one end connects to the red valve. You have to be Mr. Fantastic to reach that one so left that for now.

I did a small lip wing for a different look. The fitment isn't perfect but it's good enough.

I also had to to-do my lip with self tapping screws and 3M this time for a more firm hold.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
^^^^^ yes

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been a little bit but my OEM mats were basically ruined so I picked up a set of all weather OEM Saab mats from a local seller.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Did a minor DIY grill project with some vinyl. Came out okay.

Best of all I got my car tuned by MPS. Great guy and awesome upgrade. Definitely the best by far. Really woke up the car and now it pulls so nicely without any sacrifice to MPG.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally fixed my no cranking issue by replacing the starter. Car has been down since early Feb. I did some other cosmetic enhancements. I decided to use the Forever Black trim dye on the exterior trim because its been faded. I also picked up a set of 17' Aero wheels from a local seller. Initially they were plastidipped black, I decided I wanted to go for a cleaner look and remove it. The silver looks cleaner, was thinking maybe painting them in bronze or gunmetal.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Same wheels as my Aero. Look best in silver imo ;ol;

I notice your headlights are still a little yellow. Mine were terrible when I got it and considered the Autoglym or Meguiars resto kits that I've used on previous Volvos. Couldn't be bothered but used some toothpaste and polish which made things much better (and minty fresh!) but then tried some Armor-All wipes. Wasn't expecting much but really made a difference. Recommended. In fact I wish I'd used them first.

·
Registered
6,196 Posts
I really got tired of buying new headlights for various vehicles, even though the "depo" brand replacements are generally good products and well priced ( not including SAAB)
I bought Husky headlight film for the new Avalance Headlights about 4 years ago, and they still look new.

I purchased new headlights for the SAAB last year, although the price was hard to stomach, it was part of my (last) order from eEuro, and I included a headlight film kit. Predictably, it was not correct for the "Dame edna" headlights, ( I did order by VIN) but along with the bogus ProParts substituted Tie rod ends that lasted 3000 km, I just accepted the junk and adapted the kit to the Dame Edna headlights.

Its absolutely worth it to cover your headlights in clear film. It has to be a pretty robust film, the Husky kit for the Avalanche was 40 dollars which gave me heartburn...but it sure has worked.

·
Super Moderator
1,652 Posts
I really got tired of buying new headlights for various vehicles, even though the "depo" brand replacements are generally good products and well priced ( not including SAAB)
I bought Husky headlight film for the new Avalance Headlights about 4 years ago, and they still look new.

I purchased new headlights for the SAAB last year, although the price was hard to stomach, it was part of my (last) order from eEuro, and I included a headlight film kit. Predictably, it was not correct for the "Dame edna" headlights, ( I did order by VIN) but along with the bogus ProParts substituted Tie rod ends that lasted 3000 km, I just accepted the junk and adapted the kit to the Dame Edna headlights.

Its absolutely worth it to cover your headlights in clear film. It has to be a pretty robust film, the Husky kit for the Avalanche was 40 dollars which gave me heartburn...but it sure has worked.
Looks like Headlight Armor offers a bunch of Saab-specific headlight covers, including the Dame Edna’s:
https://www.headlightarmor.com/06-09-saab-9-5-lighting-film-kits.aspx

1 - 20 of 27 Posts