SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you have owned your convertibles for a while now, what's the wear & tear likw on the roof, particularly the inside, ceiling etc. Are creases really noticable inside?

Dr. C

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've had mine for 18 months and the interior of the hood is perfect. The hood design is the best bit about the car - if only it didn't make that horrid weedy, whiney sound.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Ive had my vert for 2 years. The internal lining (which is parchment) has some slight greying, which looks like an accumaltion of dust / dirt. Its not bad but, i dare not clean it infear of making it bad.
My main issue is the exterior material which suffers from patching /staining where it folds. I gave it a really good clean at the weekend - loads of water and a good scrub with a stiff nail brush - but cant seem to get shot of the patches.
I have spoke to Saab UK about this and they tell me that they sell a softtop renovation kit, but these patches have been their from when the car was a few months old (didnt have the roof down that much when i first got it as it was winter). If i use the kit with no joy - then ill kick up some fuss, but apart from that the roofs are pretty rock solid!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Xenon

What do you mean by horrid weedy, whiney sound? Is that from driving or when it goes up and down, or...? Please explain!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dr. Caramba said:
What do you mean by horrid weedy, whiney sound? Is that from driving or when it goes up and down, or...? Please explain!
I mean the noise from the hydraulic pump during operation. Sounds a bit asthmatic....

I agree with JWLANKY, the exterior of the hood marks along the fold lines. Cleaning with a stiff brush doesn't really help. I have heard the renovation kits are good - if you try one JW, let us know...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
xenon said:
I have heard the renovation kits are good - if you try one JW, let us know...
At £40 a go - i was waiting to see someone else's results with a reno-kit. Looks like ill have to be a guinea pig then:lol: .

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have used the AutoGlym soft top hood cleaning kit and that was excellent. I didn't use it on a Saab, but it was really good for getting the hood clean and re-waterproofed so that the water just beads on the hood. I think it was about £30 from Halfords.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Renovo do a paint on stain dye to make the hood black again :) search the web for it. I used to use the the autogym kit on my SL it was OK but it took a few applications to get the water to cluster in little bubbles though...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
JWLANKY said:
No i think he meant this:

http://www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=17216&type=0&cat=287

And at £20 i might give it a try.
That's the one, cheaper than I remembered - I found that using the wax after treatment stuff fairly generously helped the water to bead up nicely.

One word of warning - try and avoid getting the stuff on windows - it makes them smear badly. Put a towel over the glass (or for the side windows, lower them down.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
peterchurch said:
Renovo do a paint on stain dye to make the hood black again :) search the web for it. I used to use the the autogym kit on my SL it was OK but it took a few applications to get the water to cluster in little bubbles though...
Renovo appears to be the Saab approved brand :
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/default.php?cPath=1_17
but its triple the price of the Auto-glym:roll: . I'll speak to my dealer in the next week and see what they use on their old trade-in's etc. The last thing i'd want to do is bugger up the fabric because the replacments are about £2000:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts