SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last Monday i had to jump start my car, i didnt take it out over the weekend (just 2 days). Has the battery gone bad ?
I checked the volts (between the battery terminals) with the engine running and it was like 15V. After running it for sometime it tuned it off and checked the volts, it was like 13v. But the next day morning it read 10v.
Looks like the battery is not holding charge. It is time to replace it ?
If i do have to replace it, is it as simple as taking it out, put a new one in place. I know the radio will ask for a code, but is there anything else i need to know.

Also, when you jump start why does the instructions say "DO NOT connect the (-)ve directly to the battery's (-)ve"

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Cold temps can knock a few volts out, but dropping to 10.... could be going bad. Should not get much lower then 10, though. Keep an eye on it.

Yes, it's a direct swap. Easy breezy.

Re: Connecting neg to the terminal. It's just a disclaimer. I suppose some moron somewhere tried it and accidentally touched the positive terminal while trying to get the neg on. Although I don't use the neg terminal. Just easier to clamp on to some bare metal.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
You do have a dieing battery, these are normally good for 3 to 5 years, some even 7, some 1 ....

Also, check the charging rate, 15 is too high..

I have always connected jumper cables directly to the battery terminals, but like anything else it must be done carefully and with a redundant plan of success. Many battery terminals are poorly identified.... and many jumper cables are garbage..
Red must be the DC current color for POSITIVE and black for NEGATIVE......I thinks this is now universal anyway..
Break out the white paint to correct.... when the minus or plus are hard to distinguish..

·
Registered
364 Posts
queryanalyzer said:
Also, when you jump start why does the instructions say "DO NOT connect the (-)ve directly to the battery's (-)ve"

This is to do with the explosive gas batteries can produce. When you connect jump leads, you can create a spark, this spark can ignite the gases the battery produces. Not sure if this is all batteries, or only certain ones, sorry.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just replace the battery and everything is alright.
Thanks everyone.

PS: At this big box store i saw the price of battery go from $51 to $65 is about 1 week :(

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
queryanalyzer said:
I just replace the battery and everything is alright.
Thanks everyone.

PS: At this big box store i saw the price of battery go from $51 to $65 is about 1 week :(
I believe that one....inflation is now running wild; partially due to crude oil at $100 per barrel:cry:

A built in battery load tester is a possibility in conjunction with the car's computer..The starter could be the load...the test time would have to be worked out, the computer can handle this with ease..
Imagine the SID message in the year 2020...
"Sir, your batteries will expire in 16 days", do you wish to order a new set from WalMart ??"

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
earthworm said:
I believe that one....inflation is now running wild; partially due to crude oil at $100 per barrel:cry:
I don't think it has to do with inlfation in this instance. It's more like the reason a bouget of roses goes from $15 to $50 about 1 week before Valentines' Day. Demand. Someone thought "wow, we're getting hit with a bad cold spell. Let's up the battery prices before the rush starts". Come warmer temps, watch that price drop back down. ;)

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
earthworm said:
Hmmmm. My aiplane ticket is costing me $850 today. Last year I paid $1,365 for the same ticket and same company. That plane uses that $100 per barrel as well. So that's not the only reason. The US dollar got cheaper thus the price of oil went up accordingly. Basically the US dollar was a lot higher in value last year and enabled you to buy and import more with its higher value.

Importing costs more now. I believe a lot of the batteries are imported and for the US made ones, the price of materials used in the batteries got more expensive as well.

I agree 100% with Cleve, this time of the year, the battery sellers hike the prices due to demand. The price of windshield washer went very high as well; It's that time of the year.

It's economics 101 :cheesy: We pay more no matter what :lol: There's always a justification to hike up prices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts