SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the day i used to be an active member on Overclock.net a computer overclocking forum. Anyway they have a system implemented into their forum. Reputation points. Almost like liking on facebook. When someone helps with a problem and the advice is elpful, you simply like the post and the points would add up. This way you can establish who gives good advice and is respected by the community. For every set of points you would get an extra flame added under the name on OCN, their logo was a flame. just like for every set of posts we give, our title changes under our names.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Its the quality of the people on a forum which counts...
How hard is it, how much time does it take to write "thank you" ?
No to any "thanks button".
No to "likes" which is too easy to ill-use.
No to little push buttons .. its the words laboriously hunted and pecked which have value.
Answers with thought behind them are better than something too quick and easy.
As to the best advice..Three responding ,the team effort, is the best, IMO....Rather than just one great reply, which may not always be correct..
The "team effort" is great at SaabCentral...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Rep is different from honestly and integrity. You can know a Saab inside out but does not mean you are trustworthy. Case in point: I was a BMW forum member and purchased a BMW from a certified BMW technician. Engine blew a week later and guy claimed he knew nothing. Now, I hardly know a thing about Saabs but you can check my linkedIn account and you could probably figure out that I am trustworthy. Lack of knowledge typically means fewer postings. Consequently, no one will buy anything from me on the Saab Central forums.
That being said, I don't like the rep points/reward system. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I'm not a fan of "bare bones" forums. It'd be nice to have some character rating system, especially when dealing with parts being sold and purchased. I got my chain yanked by TWO different forum members back-to-back selling rims (both members wasted approximately 4 days each of my time). First guy never wanted to give me a price for them (I ran a wanted ad here) and I suspect was hoping I'd pitch some high dollar amount. On the 4th day the guy up and said "He wanted too much for them and wasn't going to sell them to me" although he never gave me an actual price and I never gave him a limit of what I was willing to pay. The 2nd guy guy selling different rims posted a $$$ amount in another thread. After talking with him for 2 days and looking at his pics, I said "I'd buy them, how much for rims plus shipping"? Guy ignored me, I sent a follow-up next day asking the same thing and guy stated on the 4th day he "really wanted to sell them locally so buyer could see them in person". I said as long as they aren't bent, I'll buy them. Take to a tire place and see if they are bent, if straight, I want them, how much total? Guy responded "I was too much of a P_I_T_A and was going to sell them locally". I sent an unhappy reply. He then get's a buddy to post a taunting message in my tire post. :roll:

Anyways, a whole week was wasted on 2 guys that I have no idea if they were trying to pull a fast one, or had no idea the shipping prices would be higher and didn't have the money (or balls to admit it) to ship or something. Both were NOT new members either, but I've never seen them before. If some sort of "rating" or 'integrity" system was in place, those 2 guys would have "negative" marks right now and it'd alert other potential buyers they were flaky. I've sold quite a few items through here and have NEVER done that to a member.

Thankfully I'm on here enough and found a more familiar member selling his rims, so 3rd time's a charm and he'd be getting a +, but anyone else not familiar would have to guess as to his character and trust worthiness.

Can we get more emoticons? The same old 10 smiley faces need to be updated with cooler ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts