SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all hate grinding...one of the worst sounds for any ear to hear :x . So heres my problem. My transmission tends to grind even with the clutch in as far in as it will go. Mainly 2nd and 3rd gear. going from 2nd to 3rd grinds the most, except when I shift at 2000rpm. 2nd grinds usually when I downshift from 3rd to 2nd, but never from 1st to 2nd. 4th and 5th gear don't grind at all, but it can be hard to get it into 5th gear.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? I just had the clutch cable replaced about 5000 miles ago when it all together snapped. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
It could be that the cable has stretched a bit and needs adjusting. A search on "cutch" "cable" and "adjust" will turn up a few threads on the procedure which is pretty easy. It's aloso possible that the linkage is screwed up.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
And the transmission mount could be "bad".

You must have about 20 mm of free play at the pedal at all times,plus or minus 10..

Does she do any grinding during reversal times ??
And is the proper synthetic MTF being used ?

·
Registered
487 Posts
sounds like your in the same boat as me. the third hear synco is bascily worn out. from your discription you have the same symptoms as me. i'll be tearing into my tranny here in the next month or so and i'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm thinking tranny mount. Mine is doing the same thing. And I get a lot of shaking in the shifter over bumps and such. So check into that to seem if you have similar symptoms. My mount will be fixed shortly.

·
Registered
430 Posts
earthworm said:
Does she do any grinding during reversal times ??
And is the proper synthetic MTF being used ?
Mine is doing the grinding into 1st, 3rd, and is very difficult to get into Reverse, at which time it often grinds.

Is grinding into reverse the harbinger of doom, or does it hopefully indicate an easier fix (e.g., realignment)?

-cj

1 - 7 of 7 Posts