SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to use WD40 instead of electrical tape to fix rattles/creaks/squeaks? WD40 just seems so much easier to apply than electrical tape...although it does have the smell that takes time to go away.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I'd be careful applying it to any plastic pieces, as it can be pretty abrasive stuff...if the part is in clear view you might end up with discoloration... my 2 cents

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
WD stands for "water displacement" and is pretty short lived when it comes to lube.

What is squeaking.

A mouse trap may be better ... :eek:

I used a match book cover on my 63 Corvair to keep the squeaky dash quiet.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'd be careful applying it to any plastic pieces, as it can be pretty abrasive stuff...if the part is in clear view you might end up with discoloration... my 2 cents
I second that. It (WD40) doesn't only discolour plastic parts but the PAINT of the car as well in the long run!
(I know from personal experience on another car not a Saab)
So be careful and think twice where to apply this stuff.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hm. Sounds like no WD40 for me. Appreciate all the feedback...I might buy a cat (or two) and have it live in my car...maybe all the squeaks will go away.

·
Registered
742 Posts
wd-40 works better as a degreaser than a lubricant...use Silicone lube spray instead I ELIMINATED a nasty creak in my Sienna's door jamb with three applications of Silicone lube and it has been two years and it has not come back!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha. Not on leather, trust me=) Plastic dash, centre armrest, door handles.

Which silicone spray, by the way? I remember I found some in Autozone but the 'spray' wasn't a spray at all...it was this thick gel that came out. Very messy.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I use the "Liquid Wrench" brand picked it up from PepBoys for like 8 bucks. It is yellow and it has a straw like wd-40 it also is light like wd-40 but I guess forms a silicone layer vs degreasing like wd. Try it its good stuff. IDK if it will discolor b/c i have only used it on door hinges and jambs but i suppose you can stick the straw in the cracks /seams and spray light quick blasts...

http://www.improvementsplanner.com/store/silicone-spray-lubricant-sku-78698137902.html Here's the stuff and only 3 bucks from this site

Godspeed!:D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The white, greasy, messy stuff? Have you had any success eliminating rattles/creaks/squeaks with it?
I've used it in some places. It seem to stick on better than the WD40, which runs everywhere. I don't use it near my black carpet though.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Has anyone tried to use WD40 instead of electrical tape to fix rattles/creaks/squeaks? WD40 just seems so much easier to apply than electrical tape...although it does have the smell that takes time to go away.
Do not use either method and definitely do not "fix" squeaks by cranking down on interior screws; insert some felt between the squeaking surfaces, then tighten the screws back down until just snug. The squeaks will be permanently eliminated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts