SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing again:cheesy:.

Discovered that I could'nt have hit the Fuel Cut Off the other week as a previous owner had disconnected it from the vac hose, figured if i had'nt had it in the last 5 years i'm not going to need it so it's been replaced by a key lock (see pic) which i can cut the fuel pump with.

I'm also after your opinions, i've swapped over to some clear indicator/side light units, just wondering now whether to keep the headlights set back and make a screen to fit flush with the indicators or bring them forward so that they are level with the front of the Indi units, suggestions?

Managed to get my radiator fans working aswell, just had to replace the wiring as all the components checked out OK, getting voltages where i should etc, so i think it was dodgy plugs & connectors causing the fan not to work, i've wired both in now.

Even better - after all my tinkering the car still worked...Bonus:cheesy: .

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nice headlights! (Not being suggestive)

I was planning on doing something almost identical but was going to convert to HID at the same time. How are they held in place? How will they be aligned? Or are they simply fixed in position. Are those intercooler pipes in the corners? So many questions. Wow, that front end is hot.

-Dan

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Headlights

They are Golf Mk II headlights, i've managed to bolt them in 3 places on either headlight using bolt holes already there, their kinda lined up, there actually slightly low so will need to point them higher at some point, i don't do alot of night driving out of the city so it's not to urgent though. They can be aligned as they've got 3 screws to adjust either light.

I've gone with the Golf Headlights and spots so i could accomodate the FMIC pipework, it seemed to be the shortest route possible for them.

At some point i'm going to get rid of the plates that the headlights line up on and make some proper fitting ones, also will make a flat screen to cover both sets of lights, or just bring them forward slightly so that they line up with the front of the indicators.

The light units ar'nt as deep as normal ones so there's a little more room behind them, i've managed to fit an open air filter in just behind one.

Here's a few links to pic's of the FMIC pipes that run through either side of the radiator.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2489
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3034
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3036
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2503

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
those pics don't work mate. btw at the moment the headlight mod looks weird but I assume it's not finished yet. :confused:

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
headlights

Nope, not yet,(Basically it's legal, but not quite as i want them) i've got a bit more messing about to do, get them lined up properly etc then make some lenses to cover them.

I've reached my limit with attachements so had to get rid of a few.

I may end up swapping the spotlights for slightly larger ones, i've got a huge collection of headlight/spots to work with so will get there eventually.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey Si here's a question for you.

Do you know the part number of those headlights? Are they off the GTi or just a plain MK II (I dont believe theres a difference). I've been having a hell of a time locating one, I live in a areas thats over-dominated by crappy US domestics, and toyotas... I haven't contacted the VW Stealership yet because I dont even want to know what they would want for them. You mentioned you have a large supply of lights to work with, how much would you want for a set? I would just need the driving lights, i'll probably use small 'rice style' fog lights as the second set. Shipping from UK to Canada would probably be pretty steep but like I said im having a hell of a time locating them over here.

If you're interested let me know.

I stilll think those lights are friggin awesome.

-Dan

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Headlights

My collection includes BMW E30 headlight & spotlights, Golf GTi Mk II driving lights, and various other spotlight/indicators that i've messed about with.

I got them all off ebay, it's probably your best bet, would be easier to sort out through Paypal aswell rather than messing about with exhange rates etc.

Have a look and see if you can locate anything on there, if not let me know and i'll see what we can sort out.

I may still use the driving lights, origionally i could'nt get them to fit in under the intercooler pipes but i've had a 'cunning plan' which may allow me to fit them in, i think it will look better with the Golf driving/spot lights in as they are more to scale with the headlights.

I've also got a couple of bumpers to mess with, i may end up using the BMW lights and having a 1 piece front end all integrated into the bumper, i've got to move house in the mean time though so will probably stay as it is for a bit.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
ordinary aero/spg bumpers or do you have a shiny set of airflow bumpers to mess with? :cheesy: speaking of which, you found the bumpers on ebay like the lights?

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Si your become a head light designer! i bet you have a fetish with lamps now;)

Its a funky looking front thats for sure, still has a 900 feel but with an evil eye:evil:

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Bumpers

The bumpers are just the metal frame, one spare flat nosed bumper & one post face lift bumper frame, the frame is a huge chunk on aluminium so i'll get some alumin sheeting and make the backing plate to hold the lights in place then weld it to the bumper frame, then i guess i'll have to make a fibre glass skin to go over it, i'll also cut out the centre section of the bumper to give better flow to the intercooler (mount the number plate to one side, i'll get a shorter squarer one made up) & probably try and build a lip/spoiler for the bottom of the front (to direct more air up) which will also be attached to the bumper frame, i've kinda got it planned in my head but not on paper yet.

Will be the new year before i get onto it realistically as i'm not going to have the time or space for a few months, i'll probably upgrade the intercooler & piping at the same time, i'm gradually accumulating parts for version 2 of the 'twintercooler'.

Once that's done then i'll move onto 3" downpipe to replace the 2 1/2" one.

Also done a little bit more work on my water injectors & Modded APC last night so hopefully will fit the inlet manifold/tufnol/water injectors before christmas.

Next year is going to be the year of the body work so by spring i want to get all the performance mods sorted out and then get on with styling, that'll include sorting out the rear bumper, filling out any dents in the body work, removing all visible rust, colour coding aero body kit, adding a couple of hot air vents to the bonnet, kinda considering removing the rail bits that run either side of the roof (VW beetle thing) and reweld the seams, then move onto the engine bay and underside, grind out any rust & reweld, grind all the seams on the underside off and reweld them to give a bit of strength back, then rewax the whole underneath. Also need to pick up some new doors or take mine off and grind out the rust and reweld, same with the boot lid, & find a bridge spoiler to fit. Hopefully i'll seam weld all the wheel arches aswell:roll: .

Still loads of work to do, but once it's finished i'll be well up for building my little Saab powered open top 2 seater. By then i'll have a good grip on performance mods aswell, so should be fun Mid engined RWD 2l turbo weighing about 800kgs:cheesy: .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts