SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I think it's time to put my car on a serious diet. Other than recuding unsprung weight like rims, and removing the interior, what other unnecessary things can I remove, or what parts come in a lighter form to lighten the car?

And I do also know about lightened flywheels...:p

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Canyon, you are about 20 years too late.

Todays cars, due to all the security ,emissions, and safety concerns from our government and some people , have caused our cars to be obese.
The weight reduction is difficult if not impossible..

The lightened flywheel is possible..
The original Saab 99 was about 2,500 lbs or less.
Buy one of these and you could make a terrific "pocket rocket"... I think..the transmissions are so weak...
Go for a 900/9-3 V6 and stuff in a 3.0 liter

·
Registered
313 Posts
earthworm said:
Go for a 900/9-3 V6 and stuff in a 3.0 liter
And then turbo it!

There are some things you can do to reduce weight on a 900/9-3....

-Light weight battery
-delete the A/C
-delete the powersteering
-cut out the spare tire well and replace with a flat peice of sheet aluminum
-Ditch the onstar computer (if you have it)
-carbon fiber hood (if you can find one)

BTW: The bumper supports are already pretty light and way too structural to take out.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Any of the luxury options like, swaping out the power windows for manual windows, or better yet, if your building a vehicle for the track, remove the glass completely! :eek:

remove the sunroof assembly, weld in a piece of sheet metal to close the opening.

remove the floor carpeting and the sound insulation in the dash, doors, trunk, ect.

remove everything except for the drivers seat and the steering wheel and the shifter, there you go :eek:

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Diosnoche said:
. . . remove everything except for the drivers seat and the steering wheel and the shifter, there you go :eek:
Absolutely. The two heaviest items in the car are the engine and transmission, so removing those will seriously reduce weight. AND, if you remove those, you really do not need a gas tank, which when full, is the third heaviest item in the car. So there you go, the car now weighs under 2,000 pounds. :lol:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
thecanyon2k4 said:
So, I think it's time to put my car on a serious diet. Other than recuding unsprung weight like rims, and removing the interior, what other unnecessary things can I remove, or what parts come in a lighter form to lighten the car?

And I do also know about lightened flywheels...:p

There are two ways to change the power to weight ratio: reduce weight...or increase power. One is far easier than the other....;)

Removing your whole interior will net maybe 120 punds or so...with all the other suggestions you might be able to get another 100 pounds out of the caR...

·
Registered
464 Posts
You could shorten the exhaust by doing a side exit-that would shave some weight. You could also convert the windows to manual operation (custom job would have to be done),convert from Auto climate control to manual, lightweight racing seats would also help. I think the 9-3 Pike's peak car weighs 2000 lbs., so there is definitely some weight that could be shed.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The Pikes Peak car has aluminum body panels too, which is a sweeeeet touch

Psul's 9-5 wagon has aluminum panels and Lexan windows to save weight.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So basically, it's nearly impossible to lighten the car and still make it practical to be street driven...Looks like I'm getting a project AE86 then...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
AE86 ???

Even a Saab 900 from '79 is 500 lbs or so lighter that the obese ones of today .
No concert hall stereo system, no AC, no alarm, no SRS, no safety system that one can hit a locomotive at 60 mph and walk away.
Still a great car...in the aspects that matter.

·
Registered
213 Posts
um, taking an idea from jetta autocrossers, move the battery to the back

this will help even out the weight distribution (especially since most of the weight you'll be removing is from behind the front axle), while allowing you to keep a hefty battery (real nice in the winter)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts