SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, while waiting for my power resistor for my Low Speed Fan I decided to look at a few other things in the car. So I decided to replace the water pump. I was finding drops of coolant on my oil filter. So got everything off but the sleeve. Used a small pry bar and got it off. Now I notice that I have chipped lip of the sleeve in two places. The first chip can't see the O-ring behind the lip, if you are looking head on. Second chip is on lip of the rear part of the sleeve. You can see the rubber O-ring if you look at it head on.

Question is should I replaced the sleeve ? Or will the O-rings be enough to stop any more leaks ? Any input is greatly welcomed. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question

The replacement water pump came with 4 O-rings. A small one, two middle sized for the sleeve(block adapter) and the largest. Where does the largest one go to ? Between the pump and the front of the sleeve(block adapter) ? I can't remember pulling one out. Checked the engine bay to see if it fell in there as I pulled the pump out, no result. :cry:

Oh, by the way, so far none of the o-rings fit.:confused: Water pump is a Dayco part.

Its a 1999 9-3se auto,thanks in advance.

·
Registered
536 Posts
None of the o-rings fit? By a large amount? I bought a Hepu w/p for my '99 when I replaced it. I don't know how accurate the Dayco parts are.

If I could see the o-ring thru one of the chips, it's enough of a PITA to replace that I might do it now to avoid having to fix it again if it leaks. How big is the chip? The concern would be if it's big enough for coolant pressure to push past it or blow out/destroy the seal.

IIRC, the o-rings are a included for two different w/p model installations (Viggens may be different?).

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
If the damage is at a sealing contact area and it cannot be made nigh perfect, then I'd spring for a new part.
Try the yards, maybe?
Or eEuroParts.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
IIRC, this is a pretty cheap part new.

I definitely would get a new or good used one if the chips are anywhere near the o-ring(s).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch,....

Thanks to all, I will go ahead a purchase a new part. Ouch, because its seems more air time for the Saab. The chips are slight but rather be safe that sorry. Does anybody know where to get this part ? Eeuroparts, just skips this part. Please help me to lessen the air time for this born of jets.:roll:

To answer the questions, yes the O-rings did not match. The O-rings that came with the water pump was only 1/8" thick. Puny. The OE seemed more like 3/16", or more towards 1/4". I had a bunch of O-rings so I think that I used a R22 which was 3/16". Now that I think about it OE must be 1/4", the 3/16" did not fill the groove.

Eiron, since you replaced your water pump on your 99, was there an o-ring between the water pump housing and the sleeve/engine block adapter ? I counted two O-rings on the sleeve and the other on the inlet tube(smallest o-ring).Yet I have another larger O-ring that seems to fit between the housing and the sleeve. Seems weird to have an O-ring there.:confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Call a dealer, and order p/n 91 37 514.

( I am not a parts expert - please consult a Saab parts professional before placing this order!!):roll::lol:

And, you might order the correct O-rings for it while you're at it!!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
therein lies

Stealerships, therein lies the problem, the closes one in like 100 miles away, literally. :cry::cry:. I may have to breakdown and call them. Thanks for the part number.

Now, anyone know about an extra O-ring in the water pump housing. Anyone ? Anyone ? :lol:

·
Registered
211 Posts
i had o ring troubles with the one i ordered as well. but i didnt get an extra. try http://www.thesaabsite.com/93/93heatingcooling.htm they have the orings. and the adapter.

i would replace it. i dont want to pull that mess apart again. until i get some speed wrenches at least ;oops:

on the t7 you should only need 3 and the gasket. 2 on the adapter and the little one on the overflow thingie...

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Stealerships, therein lies the problem, the closes one in like 100 miles away, literally. :cry::cry:. I may have to breakdown and call them. Thanks for the part number.

Now, anyone know about an extra O-ring in the water pump housing. Anyone ? Anyone ? :lol:
I only see three on the diagram - the two on the sleeve and a small one on one outlet - perhaps the turbo line? It's a small one.

I don't remember having issues with the o-rings on my pump when I did it, but it was a factory part.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
parts on the way

I have ordered the parts and they are on their way. I used "saabsite", thanks saabnatx.
Okay we concur then that the sleeve adapter needs two o-rings and there is smaller o-ring for the inlet hose. Three only. That feels much better now. lol.
Now, just the waiting bit.
Thanks again to all.:D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well, I did mine at least 2 yrs ago, so I don't exactly remember how well the new o-rings matched the old. I do know that you don't want the entire groove filled with o-ring. Standard design practice is to has some room for the o-ring to squeeze flat once all the parts are together, & maybe even leave a tiny bit of extra room for the fluid to dam-up behind the o-ring.

I got my Hepu pump from eEuro, & it came with only the number of o-rings needed for my model year. I recall hearing at the time that Viggen models substituted the larger o-ring for one of the others, but I didn't pay too close attention 'cuz it didn't apply to what I'd bought.

I hope the new parts take care of the job for you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts