SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently joined the ranks of you esteamed Saab owners.

i have an '03 Vector. I recently ( about 4 days ago ) started getting a Low coolant message on the SID. this happend a few times on start up and I thought little of it. I checked the resivoir and it wasn't very low. I intended to replace the low coolant but alas i was not certain if the Saab used the standard Dexcool that I have used in my other GM cars and trucks since 1994. Yesterday My wife dropped me at work (we have been carpooling) and when she got off of work she called me to tell me that the car was displaying the low coolant indication on EVERY start up. I contacted my Dealer Garry Small Saab ( www.saabstory.com ) and spoke with the service department and told them that i would like to come by and have the coolant toped off. They were happy to help.

I arrived at the dealership and My Saab was taken to the back and I went to the parts department to pick up a few goodies I ordered. When I returned I was told that I could not drive my car as the water pump was weeping the coolant from the pilot hole. They promptly set me up with a loaner vehicle ( A 95 saab 9000 with 110,000 miles) and said that the car would be repaired in a few days.

Now my questions stem from the following. My car was eligible for the SDaab certified used progeam at a cost of $1400 (U.S.) when I purchased it. I have now had a faliure at 28K miles of a engine component and I have driven a 10 year old Saab with high miles ( had I drove this car before buying a Saab I would have never considered the brand) the situation in the last 2 days has left me a little concerned about the viability of this automobile.

I love this car as I have loved no other since I sold my 96 Corvette. I consider this car as much fun to drive as the Corvette was and I can feel comfortable leaving it in a parkinglot. But I am concerned about the reliability and am thinking maybe I should have opted for the certification.

Question one: Have any of you had this water pump faliure on the 2.0 ecotec high boost engine?

Question two: Has the Certified used Saab ship sailed or can I still manage to get it.

Question three: is there anyone who has owned many Saabs that can assure me that the 10 year old 9000 was not as good a build quality as the newer 9-3.

Question Four: Would yoou have accepted a 10 year old auto with 110,000 miles as a loaner?

Please, I know I am a little retentive but I looked at alot of Volvos and BMW's and was frankly much more impressed with the 9-3 when I bought it. I chose it over a 330i BMW. Now I am having a little remorse.

Thank you for your replies.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Can't really answer those (except 4) but...my friend has an old 9000...and he loved it...but then again his dad was a mechanic and fixed anything ever wrong (not sure if there was alot or not)

4: I'd never take a 10 year old loaner...but then again, my dealer DOESN"T GIVE LOANERS! unless you are there for more than a couple of days (in which case they'll rent a car, last time they gave my dad a trailblazer...) they don't offer crap.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well here are my answers...

1. I don't remeber hearing of a water pump failure before on the new 9-3 SS. This is usually the place where people come to vent... and this is definitely not a common problem with others on the forum. You might just have a car with a subpar part.

2. The certified used ship shouldn't have sailed. You're still under factory warranty, and the certified program doesn't kick in until after that... so I don't see why your money wouldn't still be good to them. I know that most extended warranties can be purchased until factory warranty is up.

3. I used to own a '93 9000. It was a great car. But a completly different machine. The engine was great, but the handling was lousy. I always thought it was put together pretty well though. I had it for years 4 through 10 and it served me well.

4. I would have gladly accepted the car as a loaner. On such short notice my garage will only get me a rental because all the loaners are out. It's a better car than the Toyota Echo I ended up with last time!

I understand when the car fails you, you feel extremely angry. But it will happen with any car. Just hope they fix it and get it back to you soon.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info so far.

I really truely hope I can get past this little stumble.

My Dealer isn't into all the Tech 2 mods i want to do but there parts department has ordered the package tray that replaces the Ashtray for me and gat me a keyhole plug for the drivers door.

I also want to get my 60 gig Ipod mounted in the car with controls so I am printing up all sorts of info from this site and taking it in when I pick up my car.

I droped off the loaner todat because i simply am not willing to drive it. One of my coworkers asked me today if I kept my Saab out past midnight and it turned back into a pumpkin from the nice carrage that i drove the day before :D .

The loaner car they gave me had a broken fog light and potatoe chips in the rear floorboard. i was trully embarassed to drive it and my Wife flat refused to do so. The last time my Chevy had to stay at a dealership overnight we were given a rental of a GMC Envoy. the time before that we were given a 05 Malabu. I am finding differences in the GM and Saab service centers. Some good some bad.

My Wife spoke with the owner of the dealership today. They apperantly also have 2 2002 Saabs they loan out but they were both gone.

When i was at the dealership today they said that they had started the repair today rather than waiting till tommarow as they had originally intended. So I should be able to pick her up tommarow.

Thank you gentelmen for your insight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Every time I have needed to take my car to the dealer for maintenance, they have given me a brand new 9-3 as a loaner. I was under the impression that all Saab dealers provided this, but maybe it's just a dealer thing?

·
Registered
413 Posts
My local dealer here in the UK do not have Saabs as loaners. they are a joint GM site and are set up alongside the GM (Vauxhall) garage, although they have two separate showrooms. Any loaners tend to be fairly new Vauxhall Vectra's. The cars are comparable in size so Ive not really had a problem with what they offer.

Especially as there is no chargemade, just a request to return the car with a little fuel remaining (basically replace what you use, as they tend to supply them with the fuel light already lit!)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I too had a fuel requirement. The car was given to me with the understanding that the tank was full. I filled the tank a few blocks from the dealer before returning it.

I put in 5.7 Gallons after traveling 66.2 miles. Thats just over 11 MPG!!!! My Chevy Avalanche with the 8.1 Litre Engine gets 9.5 MPG on average!!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
OOHYA said:
But I am concerned about the reliability and am thinking maybe I should have opted for the certification.

Question one: Have any of you had this water pump failure on the 2.0 ecotec high boost engine?
The weep hole is designed to leak coolant when the shaft seal of the water pump fails. This seal, IIRC, is made by Freudenberg, not Saab. (Partsmanager may know for certain.) The idea is to alert you to replace the pump before the bearing fails. You can drive around for a bit, refilling coolant and hosing off your driveway as you go. It helps if you run the cooling system non-pressurized, if the 9-3 will let you do this. But you have to replace the pump pretty soon after you spot the leak.

Anyway, the idea of a certification finding the problem depends on how "retentive" the inspector is. Usually, CPO cars have their cooling systems pressure tested. But a small leak in the water pump seal may not result in a drop in pressure to alert the inspector. The best indication is to visually inspect the weep hole. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether or not someone does that. If it's not on the checklist, my guess is "no!"

Yours is the first seal failure I recall seeing in this forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the water pump replaced three weeks ago, under warrenty for a 9 3 ss 03 with 42000 miles. I need to find out about extended warrenty options. Dealership told me that it would have cost at least a grand to fix.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I actually got a convertible loaner once

I've even sat in an ARC 04 lime green convertible as a loaner. Had me beaming all through CT!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just got back from the dealer due to coolant level low indication. They had to replace the water pump and said it was a small drip. I have 35K on my 04. While I was sitting there waiting for them to open I had the sunroof open (first time in awhile) and tried to open the passanger window. The sunroof would not close and the Passenger window would not roll down. They had to replace the whole mechanisim for the passanger window and said that all they did for the sunroof was "re-calibrate" the anit pinch protection.

I also complained about one of the speakers sounding like it was blown. They replaced the front drivers side speaker. I left the radio off on my way out of the parking lot since I had heard a noise when they broght my car around. After a few mile I turned it on. When I went ot increase the colume via the knob the dam passanger speaker is dead and popping like crazy. Now I have to take the dam thing back again.

At my 30K service I had marked the cabin filter since I had doubts they replaced it the last time and sure enough it was not replaced. Not to mention the did not top off any fluids. AS I was leaving that time the dam windshield washer low came on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts