SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a reputable place in the Metro St. Louis (MO) area to have a water pump replaced in my 2004 9-3 ARC Saab. I have contacted the Saab dealer, West County Saab, and was quated $1500!!!
I know that the cost is about $750-800. I have access to AllData and was able to check the pricing. When confronted, the service manager told me that the someone who was checking the price made a simple mistake (!) He did not apologize. The problem is - I don't tust them. I realized that they would have cherged me the $1500 if I didn't question it.
I would appreciate any recommendation or suggestion.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had to have my water pump replaced on the 2.0T.
Get them to break down the cost of replacement into parts/labour.

It is apparently a hassle to change as you need a special tool to hold up the timing belt.
I went and purchased mine from Ebay in the UK. It was 1/4 of the cost that it was here in AUS.

Unfortunately labour was still around $700 (AUD). 6-7 hours work at my shop, but they had never done one before either.

·
Registered
205 Posts
About to begin changing my water pump. I see these two 9-3's are not the 1st gen. Does my ng900 and 1st gen 9-3's have the timing belt issue? I have not seen it mentioned in the guides i've found, just making sure I know what I'm getting into.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
314 Posts
About to begin changing my water pump. I see these two 9-3's are not the 1st gen. Does my ng900 and 1st gen 9-3's have the timing belt issue? I have not seen it mentioned in the guides i've found, just making sure I know what I'm getting into.
Thanks,
Brian
you can always contact genuinesaab, theyre local and are very helpful. the ng900 and 9-3 and 9-5 dont have the timing chain connection for the waterpump or powersteering like the new 9-3ss does. just runs off the serpentine belt

·
Registered
782 Posts
Its really not that bad. Any shop thats done an ECOTEC water pump has the tool. The thing with the Saabs is to unbolt the cat...but dont take it out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
just to lay my post to rest, this 100% does not apply to ng900's or first gen 9-3's. just the serp belt is involved- which is easy cake.
thanks,
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts