SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding a water pump for the 99, and found that all the bits (except for the shaft and impeller of course) are readily available from a good bearing shop, including the sprung seal assembly.
You can just take the assembly into the bearing shop and they should have all the parts.

For reference:
The sprung carbon/ceramic seal 5/8" x 1-3/8" similar to http://www.eagleseal.co.nz/products/EH790.html $22.50 AUD
Oil seal 5/8" x 1-3/8" x 1/4" $3.75 AUD
External circlip 5/8" $0.40 AUD
Bearing R10 (5/8" x 1-3/8" x 9/32" - don't get a sealed bearing) $7.70 AUD

You should get this stuff for half that price if you have trade links.
The really big plus is that you can get the parts you need the same day, and not wait for a water pump rebuild kit to come from a saab parts supplier.

Hope this info is useful to someone.
Dan.

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
That's essentially what I did a few years back - but bought 50 of them :) The only part I had trouble sourcing was the oil seal. I think I had the last 50 in the country as after that the minimum order was 1000 :eek: noone could supply the oil seal singly, so I had to go for the bulk.

That's not a bad price you paid for 1-offs. Did you get the correct clearance bearing? C3 is slightly "looser" than a standard bearing as they sit in hot oil.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
50? Were you selling kits? Or do you just have 49 spare saab 99 water pump oil seals?

I just got a standard R10 bearing. I think it should be fine. But it's a good point.

Incidentally, I remember someone asking about the hardened shafts. I found you can machine them, but you must use carbide. It's not as hard once you get through the surface. I had to sleeve my shaft because it was badly pitted due to the previous owner running plain tap water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.