SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished an appointment with one of my clients, I get ready to jump on the highway to head home and as I yield, lots of smoke! I pull forward and to the side of the road noticing the puddle I left behind.

When I poped the hood, I couldn't see where the hell the leak was coming from. There was antifreeze in good amounts near the fan closest to the right (passenger side for us in the US), but I couldn't see the leak. Then, I noticed a puddle forming near my feet. Upon looking under the car, it was loosing lots of fluid falling off the black shield thingy by the right (passenger) front part of the underside.

I added antifreeze to see if I could spot the leak, but I could just see it spilling out from the same area. The black shield seemed to block my view. I had a lot of extra antifreeze and I needed to at least make it back towards my house. So, I got it started up (probably a bad idea :confused: ) and I made it to a repair place by my house.

All the extra antifreeze I put in leaked out. I'm not sure there was any warning of this, unless I just didn't notice. Seemed very sudden and just an explosion out of nowhere. Didn't ever get any fluid low warnings, just boom and smoke. The car would run as long as I put more fluid in, but does anyone have an idea on what is most likely to have happened?

I know, it's probably the jesus hates me option...

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Definately Jesus hates, inexplicable water leaks are his calling card.

Probably a blown hose or cracked rad, they happen from time to time.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Raven18940 said:
Definately Jesus hates, inexplicable water leaks are his calling card.

Probably a blown hose or cracked rad, they happen from time to time.
Cracked hoses tend to leak a little slower than that unless they completely blow off their fitting. Judging by where the leak is coming from, and Murphy's Law, I'd have to say radiator

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
Cracked hoses tend to leak a little slower than that unless they completely blow off their fitting. Judging by where the leak is coming from, and Murphy's Law, I'd have to say radiator
When my heater hose went, it exploded and water was just pouring off the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, it's getting looked at today so I'll let you know. Also, I think Jesus just wanted to prove a point yesterday. After leaving my appointment, I joked to a friend that I must be cursed (I've never had a client just totally freeze up and do nothing). By the time I hit the highway, little baby jesus confirmed he was upset at my lack of service attendance by destroying my cooling system.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Raven18940 said:
When my heater hose went, it exploded and water was just pouring off the bottom of the car.
Wow... haha you know how hard it is to completely explode a hose? lol I think baby jesus didn't like YOU! :lol:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I was just told my radiator had a nice hole in it. Problem is, he said I have a head gasket problem. Does a head gasket cause your radiator to blow? I thought it was vice versa.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
crosseye said:
Ok, I was just told my radiator had a nice hole in it. Problem is, he said I have a head gasket problem. Does a head gasket cause your radiator to blow? I thought it was vice versa.
I didn't think they were related at all...

Did he tell you what kind of problem it was...? A good way to tell if you've got a leaky head gasket is to check to see if you have coolant in your oil next time you change it.

When it rains, it pours... :cry:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was only able to get my car to an AAMCO by my house. The saab indie in my area is a good 25 miles from me and I would've never made it. They said they fixed the radiator and there's no leaks, he just told me there was a head gasket problem.

He was filling in for someone and said they would give me a call in the morning tomorrow with the problem and price. Would my car make it to the indie with a head gasket blown? Would that not just cause a serious problem (like the head gasket isn't bad enough)? What's the average price when it comes to replacing a head gasket on our Saabs?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Not to scare you, but, I just had a head gasket done on my 99 SE, they replaced all the gaskets and seals from the top of the block up, thermostat, timing belt and tensioner, serpentine belt and tensioner, upper and lower radiator hoses, planed both heads, full coolant flush and a synthetic oil change with filter.
Oh, and they lubed the doors, $2000.
(Previous owner paid half)
My car had a slow leak that showed up when the engine was hot, the coolant light came on weekly.
The V6 is not known for head gasket problems, I think AAMCO is having a slow week.
Get it to your indie for a pressure test of the cooling system, as well as compression and hydrocarbon tests.
Those tests will determine if the head gasket is an issue for sure.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did see a good amount of white smoke coming from the muffler when I finally got it restarted, but it went away once I started driving. There was also some pretty rough idle until I started driving.

I know the V6 isn't known for head gasket problems, but I can guess when the radiator blew the engine overheated and possibly warped it :cry:. Couldn't come at a worse time of year. Almost seems like a whole new engine would be just a little more. Would it be safe to drive to the indie or will I only make it worse?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Did it actually overheat, did the temp gauge show hot?
Did the white smoke come from the tailpipe, or from under the car?
If it still smokes or runs rough now that the radiator is fixed, you could always get it towed to your indie.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, the temp gauge jumped real fast. I've seen other cars where it will start to rise, but this went from the middle to the car ready to die in the time it took me to get to the side of the road.

As far as the white smoke, it came in large amounts from the tailpipe when I got the car restarted. After I was able to pull on the road, it slowly went away.

Can we now confirm Jesus, does infact, hate me?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts