SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably an easy answer for most of you. I'm in the middle of head work, sump cleaning, timing parts, etc. on my son's 2002 Saab 9-3 SE. PO took very poor care of this machine. Anyhow, I decided to update the water pump since it's so easy to get to! :) My question is, on the side of the water pump housing that faces the driver's side of the car is a connection for the hard line water pipe with o-ring. It appears that there is a bolt that goes in there to help hold that water pipe in place. Is there also a clamp or just a large washer that puts pressure on that water pipe? Can't seem to find pictures of this anywhere on the web. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
There are two pipes, one goes into the pump (with the o-ring) the other connects to the U shaped rubber bypass hose. That second pipe has a little bracket on it that is shaped so that when its screwed into the water pump housing it holds the pipe with the o-ring in place.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
649 Posts
If you are replacing the water pump - I recommend you also consider replacing the thermostat at the same time. New OEM ones won't cost very much.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The coolant line that runs around the block to the throttle body and heater hoses is anchored in one or two places as well, but you've probably found those already of you tried to pull the hose out of the pump.

You didn't mention the crazy flange/fitting that fits between the pump and the block. You should pull that to replace the outer and inner o-ring. That can be a real treat if PO's mixed coolants which can corrode the crap out of the fitting and make it a bear to pull out of the engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the good info. It's hard to sometimes know where things go if the PO has removed them and not put them back together correctly! The PO had broken off the 6mm bolt in the pump housing, so I had to drill and use a screw extractor to remove it. I was wondering where the pipe with the bypass hose attached and this makes more sense now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I have in fact done the thermostat along with the pipe with the 2 o-rings that goes between the pump and the block. I've also dropped the pan and cleaned that out, replaced the timing chain & guides, removed the balance shaft chain, and rebuilt the head. I had to go this far into it because the piston crown was breaking away by the top ring groove (had to replace pistons, rings and rod bearings too). My understanding now is that PO ran the car for quite some time with a faulty MAF on regular fuel with the check engine light on... Sigh.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a couple more questions if you don't mind. Since it took so long to get some of these parts, I don't remember some of the details of where things go. So here goes my list:

1. Heater hoses to throttle body - does it matter which hose goes to which fitting?
2. O2/Crank position connector bracket - Where does this bolt up? I assume it's like the 9-5 and over by the thermostat housing? (maybe it bolts to the thermostat housing?)
3. Wire loom cable trough - don't remember how this mounts. :(
4. Support bracket - does this support the cat assembly? (see picture)
5. Ground rings by thermostat housing - If I remember correctly, they bolt to the side of the intake manifold?
6. And lastly, I want to crank the engine with no DIC or fuel running to prime the turbo/engine, etc. What fuse do I pull to knock out the fuel pump?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
1. In theory no, but I think they only really fit one way.

2. Uses the same bolts that hold the eyelet bracket to the head (just above the thermostat housing).

3. I think there are a couple of 10mm head hex bolts that bolt it to the fuel rail.

4. Yes, goes from block (shares a bolt with the turbo support) to the 2 bolt bracket on the DP.

5. Yes.

6. IIRC fuse 32, but its clearly labeled on the little cheat sheet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I'm still a little confused on how this wiring loom trough fits in here. Does anyone have any pictures? I've scoured the internet, but nothing... I'm not sure if the 'trough' part goes up or down, nor the left/right direction. I can't seem to line it up with anything on the intake / fuel rail. I should have taken more pictures, but it seemed so obvious at the time! :) Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
I think my NG900 has four bolt holes on the intake manifold, in sets of two. The fuel rail bolts to two of them, and the wiring loom holder bolts to the holes that are right next to the fuel rail bolt holes.

Am I only seeing one tab with a bolt hole on your part, or is just the angles it was photographed at?

·
Registered
9-3 02 190K 900SE 98 90K
96 Posts
I am replacing radiator, thermostat, water pump too on the same vehicle. Only difference is I am owing up to my own mistakes and fixing it up myself rather than offload the work to you!

Feel free to ask where part X goes because I have everything out and labeled at the moment, all steps complete of the WIS packet teardown, waiting for a Friday parts delivery.

Next will be the timing chain but I wanted to put everything back together and check that the coolant system is fine first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So my two outstanding parts are the O2/crank sensor bracket and the wire loom trough. I took a few more pictures of the wire loom trough.

The O2 sensor bracket does not seem to mount to the lifting eye. When I line it up, it interferes with the fuel regulator on the fuel rail. Hmm. Maybe I have it upside down? I'll look tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts