SaabCentral Forums banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
Mine too! I still got a puddle on top of the rubber hatch mat after a good rain. At least nothing seems to be seeping in below, and soaking the underside of the carpet. I can deal with a leak that drips down onto the mat a little better, but I still want to fix it. Are you wanting to reseal the window itself, or the rubber gasket around the hatch opening? The gasket just pulls off. I don't really see how water can get past that unless there's a rip or hole, but that may be the source of it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm thinking that 'my' leak must be coming through 'detached' window sealant - behind the rubber (is that the 'gasket' you're referring to?) It's a fairly substantial rubber, I'd hate to damage it trying to pull it off - (It will be glued on surely?).
I assume that the window is pressed onto a sealant, similar to a windscreen, then the rubber is pressed onto that.
I'm wondering if a bead of silicon sealant injected down in behind the rubber (between the rubber and the body pillar) might be worth a try, -rather than pulling the rubber off completely to re-seal the window. It's possible that water could leak in around that window seal, and then run down the inside of the interior plastic trim (down the slanting pillar) and end up in the back floor.

·
Registered
9,853 Posts
I read through the WIS instructions on removing and fitting the rear window, and it looks like the outer seal is considered to be an integral part of the window. They lay a bead of adhesive down, and then press the window in place. To remove it, you have to use a wire cutter to cut through the adhesive, just like on the windshield. The WIS never mentions removing the seal on the window, so I'm assuming it can't be easily done.

·
Registered
153 Posts
So possibly the glass is fitted into a channel in the rubber then the whole thing is fitted with sealant into the window body opening. I'll try the bead of silicon sealer around the rubber trick. Let you know the result.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts