SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had water leaking into my trunk for a while now , and this is what i found.
I had checked all the things that were pointed out in the forums like light cluster seals , tailgate seal , fuel filler seal (more on that later) etc , but the water was still coming in.
The water was appearing where my finger is pointing in the first pic , and i thought it was coming from where i'm pointing in the second one.

But it wasn't coming in here , it was dripping down from the rear speaker area. So i started tracing it back by removing the interior trim and followed the water trail to two little boltholes which hold on a piece of the exterior bodywork.

You can see the 2 little holes , the water was coming in here and running down the piller into the upper boot area. These are 2 10mm nuts and you access them just by popping of the trim below the handle , easy stuff.
More to come.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From the outside you need to take off a little screw at each end. One under the tailgate and one under the front door sealing strip , just pull it back and you'll see the screw. Then the thing just lifts out.

And the two boltholes from the outside. I just used some black sealer for kitchen worktops. It should last a while , or if not then i'll have to replace the little rubber sealing washers that had perished to start the leak.

So thats it really , i have no more soaking boot carpet . It took me months to find this because i couldn't find the scource of the water , but its a really easy fix. An hour tops.

As for the fuel filler being a problem , thats nonsense. The only way water can get into the trunk is through the filler locking bolt holes , shown in the pic. But even a busted gromet here wouldn't let in a lot . Say a few drops in a heavy shower , and not enough to soak your carpets.

You would eaily pinpoint this as a problem by feeling up around the locking mechanism in the trunk for moisture anyway.

Well , hope this helps someone else. Rob.

·
Registered
240 Posts
wow. glad i stumbled upon this thread!

i have water leaking in from above the rear window where those holes are. it lands on my back seat. also, my trunk hasn't been dry since probably 2 summers ago.

i'll definitely add this to my unending list of 'small' problems to tidy up with my car. thanks for the pics. i'm a visual learner.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Awesome Rob! I only did enough investigative work to know that it wasn't my sunroof..;oops:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys , it's ten times easier with pictures. I'm no mechanical genius so its good to be of some use to you lot with little pieces like this from time to time. What i didn't say in the post is just to be a little carefull when lifting the outer panel off , because it may have some kind of bonding like double sided tape as well as the screws and bolts. I actually bent mine a little and it wouldn't go back in snug. I had to reshape it a little being very carefull , or that would have been a trip to the breakers yard and a probable re spray. It's always the same when you are taking something apart for the first time....there's always something else holding it somewhere else.:(

·
Registered
12,347 Posts
Rob, I went out and looked at my car several times before I realized that the cover you removed is also on my car. The first few times I looked at it, it just looked like to an extension to the front door, but then I realized that my car doesn't have rear doors like my GMC does. Nice post and photos... Ron

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rob, I went out and looked at my car several times before I realized that the cover you removed is also on my car. The first few times I looked at it, it just looked like to an extension to the front door, but then I realized that my car doesn't have rear doors like my GMC does. Nice post and photos... Ron
Yes , i see what you mean . The pics dont clearly show it's a 2 door . That could be quite confusing :confused:

·
Registered
806 Posts
My '95 900 does not have the parts you have shown removed but I still get a steady drip running down the inside of the rear hatch. The drip usually follows the inside contour of the hatch and then runs down the back, over the taillight assembly and then puddles in the right rear under the carpet. There is even a rusty water "trail stain" that leads back up into the hatch interior and disappears behind the rear speaker shelf extension. Can anyone guess as to where the water is making an entry?

I am guessing a leak around the attachment point for the hatch support strut or maybe further up. At first I thought it was the taillight gaskets for sure...:x

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Without having a year 95 to look at , can't be of much help to you i'm afraid.
Rusty water doesn't sound good though , you probably have a corrosion problem on the bodywork somewhere...it sounds like it might be a hairline fracture on a weld or something like that.

·
Registered
806 Posts
True, but I am calling on the possibility of another NG900 owner weighing in who knows the chassis well. I do not have that type of interior trim (near the grab handle); the headliner butts up directly against the rubber "welt" there. There is no removable piece of bodywork on the outside either so I'm trying to find any and all areas where water may enter into the rear hatch area. It's raining now and I have used a towel to sop up 2-3 oz of water in there already.

I can't believe these cars have this common a leaking problem.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know , there are lots of threads about leaks on SC , not many of which end with a satisfactory solution to the problem. I think it's a bit of a "grey" area.
This thread hasn't exactly had a lot of response , but i hope you find out where the water is coming from..it's a really annoying and frustrating problem to have.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to update this thread a bit , i have had more water coming in to the same area , so totally flumoxed i started ripping everything apart . It turns out that the hinge mechanism on the fuel flap is the new culprit.
Just take out the two bolts and the whole thing lifts out , then your left with a large square plastic insert that just pulls out , leaving a huge hole that delivers **** loads of water into the boot if the seal has gone ! It seems like all the seals on my car are packing in simultaneously.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I did that fix too, sealing around the plastic insert for the fuel door hinge but I fail to understand how water gets into the rear hatch area from there. There's essentially two walls in the body; the outside wall and an inside wall and there are no apparent holes that would allow water from the filler area to breach both walls, at least in my investigations.

In any event, I have been using a bathroom mold and mildew cleaner called Tilex to spray down the carpet and padding in the hatch to end the musty smells that erupt from time to time while I battle the leaks. No fading or discernible damage to the carpet.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Believe me , if you put a blast from a hose on that open hole water will appear instantly in your luggage compartment , and lots of it. The fuel cap lock bolt hole opens into the same cavity , and if you look through that hole with the locking mechanism removed you can see straight in if youve got the hatch open.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey Rob, what did you do to stop water coming in from the filler flap? I thought I had solved my water problem by running a bead of silicone between the taillight gaskets and the light assemblies. We recently had a downpour and it turns out that I didn't fix it. Water was coming in on both sides and on the filler door side there was much more. I pulled the carpet back and noticed that water had pooled below where the filler flap door is. I managed to take out the plastic sleeve and ran some silicone sealant around that and reassembled it. I have new taillight seals on the way too. Hopefully that will work.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I re-sealed the hinge on the filler and for a while the trunk was dry , but now it's letting in again , although not as bad as before. This damp trunk is really pis##ng me off now , and i'd love some more input to this thread myself . " Needle in a haystack problem " , i'm afraid.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I feel the same way, although you have put a lot more work into trying to solve this problem. It seems like an immense oversight on Saab's part. It's not like Europe is an arid continent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Water ingress into boot area.

After reading all the postings regarding leakage into boot area, I first sealed the rear light clusters. Silicon sealant applied to both sides of the gaskets after witnessing water leaking from lower edge of light fitting into the boot( both sides). After the first downfall I still had evidence of moisture on offside at the bottom of the wheel arch where it meets the boot floor. I sealed the fuel filler door hinge mounting gasket/weather boot with black silicon sealant. After all the rain and snow we have been experiencing there is no evidence of moisture under the boot lining. I am hoping this has done the job!!;ol;

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First time in years someone's posted on one of my threads ! They must be boring , ha !
I no longer have my wee blue hatchback , as a while back some nice guy trashed it on my driveway and it was a write off ...
So I went straight out and got a 2001 silver 93 convertible ... And now I have loads of leaks !!! But I can live with it :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Water leaking again

Hi, after thinking I had cured the leak into the boot on my 9-3 water is appearing on both sides of the boot floor just behind the wheel arches on both sides of the vehicle. The only thing I have recently done is take the rear bumper off to get to the tow bar. I have sealed the nuts where they secure the bumper to the rear panel as water appeared to be collecting in this area. I have also sealed the aerial external seal. I will now have to wait and see if any water collects in the area. Some other forums have suggested the shock top mounts can leak in water but I thought this would have been dirty water thrown up by the wheels? Does anyone have any other ideas.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts