SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question I was driving and I stopped to get money out of atm and i smelled antifreeze.I looked it was leaking from the rear of motor it seems all over the exhaust. Does this sound like a water pump failure and If so is it easy to replace on a 2001 9-5 V6t? Any help is appreciative.

Repsectfully,

DM

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Where is this located exactly? And will this leak constantly or no? It only leaks under pressure when the car runs for a lil bit. Thanks

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
desertman72206 said:
Where is this located exactly? And will this leak constantly or no? It only leaks under pressure when the car runs for a lil bit. Thanks
It's mounted on the firewall behind the engine in probably one of the most unfortunate locations possible. It should only leak under pressure, but the problem with this diagnosis is that a cracked hose will do the exact same thing... :confused:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
desertman72206 said:
Is there a way to test it when I take it off? or what to look for?
It should be fairly obvious as it will be soaked with coolant.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Your right it was the CBV, I took it to saab just for that part replaced 269 dollars. I got the free belt timing belt replacement. I had them do the tensionor , idler, water pump and that there was 685.00 dollars. Your right if you dont have a grand laying around you dont need this car lol. 2001 Saab 9-5 v6t.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
desertman72206 said:
Your right it was the CBV, I took it to saab just for that part replaced 269 dollars. I got the free belt timing belt replacement. I had them do the tensionor , idler, water pump and that there was 685.00 dollars. Your right if you dont have a grand laying around you dont need this car lol. 2001 Saab 9-5 v6t.
Was your water pump bad?

It seems that everything happens on cars in increments of $1,000. Even on my parent's GMC Yukon XL! :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
NO its not bad, it has 77k miles on it and everyone here told me to replace the water pump and the tensioner pulley

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
desertman72206 said:
NO its not bad, it has 77k miles on it and everyone here told me to replace the water pump and the tensioner pulley
Erm... oh... well I probably wouldn't have replaced it since I'm at 99k and it's still going strong, but I guess you won't have to worry about it for the life of the car now...

Tensioner is definately something to be done though.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
desertman72206 said:
So if i was getting rid of the car in march I shouldnt have replaced water pump?
Not unless it had failed or was failing... But hey you can be like "Did the 60k service, plus a successful preemptive strike against the water pump!"

American's love anti-terrorist stuff like that, guaranteed extra $1,000. ;) :p

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
desertman72206 said:
oh ok lol...ya anti terriost waterpump hahah sweet. Anyone want to buy this car hahaha..
You got it! Now all you have to do is put a "Proud to be an Infidel!" bumper sticker on it as proof! Hahaha

SOLD! The anti-terrorist Saab water pumps are sweeping the nation... :eek:

·
Registered
740 Posts
My indy also recomended replacing water pump on a V6 along with timing belt/tensioner. Apparently water pump is right down there and takes less than 5 mins to change when you have timing belt off. OTOH, if it fails and you need to replace it, you're looking at another $300-$400 of labor just to get there. So I guess it was a good call.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
walmark said:
My indy also recomended replacing water pump on a V6 along with timing belt/tensioner. Apparently water pump is right down there and takes less than 5 mins to change when you have timing belt off. OTOH, if it fails and you need to replace it, you're looking at another $300-$400 of labor just to get there. So I guess it was a good call.
Well there you go! Not all is lost! :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts